Boys freshman basketball asserts dominance in conference play to beat Ottawa Hills 79-66

Freshman Jacob Bonnett had a career-high 34 points to bring a 79-66 win for the boys freshman basketball team against the Bengals of Ottawa Hills.

Jacob has been amazing all season long but has never put up this many points. Between his shooting beyond the arc and his ability to finish down low, he was a clear key factor in this high-scoring win.

The Rangers jumped out early by executing plays and finishing shots. The first quarter was a close match, as it finished 16-14 with FHC on top. The early pressure, set in place by head coach Adam Monroe, was a plan from the start. Ottawa Hills couldn’t execute like FHC could, and Monroe knew that. A switch of defenses—from zone to full-court man—allowed the Rangers to close down entree to the lane, which forced the Bengals to chuck up some deep threes. This was a common theme all game and was a clear factor for the win. In the second quarter, FHC was rewarded, as the Rangers pulled ahead to lead 46-25 when they ran into the locker room.

Ottawa Hills is known for its extreme athleticism and ability to get to the rim, but the Rangers’ aggressive and stable defense allowed no easy finishes. On the other side of the court, FHC found that shots were falling. Freshman Benny Scholler found his stroke and scored a career-high 20 points. The rest of the team realized this and got him the ball as much as possible, and it paid off. Benny was 8 for 8 on free throws and had multiple assists on the night. The Rangers stayed on top the rest of the game and never looked back, locking down their fourth straight conference win 79-66.

“These guys continue to be the hardest workers on the court every game, and I couldn’t be more proud,” Monroe said.

The Rangers are now 8-2 in regular play and 4-0 in the conference. Their next matchup is at Forest Hills Northern on Tuesday, Jan. 22 at 4:00 pm.