Boys varsity basketball suffers tough loss to FHN 73-65


Despite outrebounding and outplaying the Forest Hills Northern Huskies for most of the game, the boys varsity basketball team suffered a tough loss 73-65. Even with a poor shooting night, junior point guard Jimmy Scholler led the team with 20 points, and senior forward Dan Deindorfer added 19.

The first quarter saw the Rangers come out with an interesting defensive strategy. Playing against two of the best shooters in the area in the Huskies’ Ethan Erickson and Trent Summerfield, the Rangers decided to have senior Josh Wise and junior Mitch Wilkinson face guard the two. Josh and Mitch had a hand in their face all game, trying to make it as difficult as possible for them to get the ball, nevermind shoot it. The Huskies looked a little shocked at the Rangers’ defensive philosophy, and FHC took advantage of it. Dan was a force down low for the Rangers, as he had 9 of his 19 points in the first quarter to give the Rangers an 18-16 lead.

“They seemed to be really surprised by what we did defensively,” Mitch said. “We just wanted to force the other three [players on the court for the Huskies] to beat us. [We have to] give them credit because they did that.”

The Huskies came out hot in the second quarter, but the Rangers were able to keep with them. Ethan Erickson had 7 quick points in the quarter to pace the Huskies. The Rangers were able to take good care of the ball for most of the game but did not in the second quarter. FHC committed 4 of their 10 total turnovers in the quarter, which let the Huskies get out and run in transition where it is very hard to stop them. Despite the turnovers, the Rangers only trailed by 3 at the half, 29-26. 

The third quarter started with both teams trading buckets until the Huskies started to pull away a bit. With four minutes remaining in the quarter, the Huskies took a 9-point lead, and it seemed as if the game was getting away from the Rangers. FHC was helped by the Huskies committing eleven fouls that set the Rangers up for opportunities at the free throw line. The Rangers clawed their way back and only trailed 48-46 at the end of the quarter.

A Jimmy three-pointer gave the Rangers their first lead of the half, but that would be the last time the Rangers had the lead. The Huskies seized control of the game, scoring on four of their next five possessions. The Rangers picked the wrong time to go cold from the free throw line, as they were just 8/14 on free throws in the fourth and shot just 56% from the line for the game. The Huskies were able to make their free throws down the stretch and were able to pull away, winning 73-65.

“We definitely missed opportunities tonight,” Jimmy said. “We didn’t shoot very well as a team, but we played really hard; sometimes you just don’t make enough plays to win, and that’s what happened tonight.”

With the loss the Rangers fall to 7-4 on the season and 3-2 in OK-White conference play. The Rangers are back in action on Friday at 5:30 when they host the East Grand Rapids Pioneers in a non-conference game.