Only Mine provided an intriguing story with poor execution of believable acting

When a movie begins following a horrified girl sprinting through the woods who is then struck by a bullet in the hip, you’re bound to be instantly intrigued. You desire to know every exact detail behind the situation: whom she is running from, who struck her, why they struck her, how she got into that forest. As the beginning scene approaches its conclusion, the girl painfully collapses onto the ground, and you are left wondering one last detail: will she live?

The protagonist in Only Mine is Julie Dillon—played by Amber Midthunder. Julie is around the age of eighteen and is raising enough money to attend college at the start of the movie. She works at the popular local diner in the small town of Coldwater Hills alongside her co-worker and friend Tommy. Julie resides with just her mother and keeps in frequent contact with her best friend Suzanne.

The plot of the movie begins when Julie meets a newly-hired cop: David Barragan—played by Brett Zimmerman. David and Julie meet when he pulls her over for speeding on her way to work; however, David allows Julie to continue on her route with a “warning” and promised to visit the diner that she worked at. It was made obvious to viewers that Julie and David instantly were attracted to each other; therefore, at the conclusion of this scene, viewers could easily predict that Julie and David would eventually blossom into a couple.

The conflict of the movie presents itself slowly through the many overprotective, ugly actions that David completes. First, Julie discovers that David let himself into her house and was sitting on her couch waiting for her to come home from work—he was voicing his distress and annoyance that her shift ended an hour prior to her arrival. Then, Julie discovers David loudly banging on the front door of Suzanne’s house while she was babysitting her daughter; David argues that “everyone” was worried about Julie because she had not answered her phone. Then, Julie encounters David in her backyard garden with a rake, refusing to leave until he successfully pressures her into discussing their argument with him. Julie eventually realizes that her relationship with David was not healthy, and the true conflict presented itself when she attempted to break up with him.

Although the actual plot of Only Mine was intriguing, the actors were unable to provide accurate emotion behind their acting—which took away from the overall quality of the movie. There were various scenes when Julie should have been obviously frustrated and upset, and Dillon was unable to successfully portray that emotion. Likewise, Barragan’s tone was extremely flat, and he easily could have taken the role of an emotional, obsessed stalker farther. Overall, I was thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed with the acting presented; however, since Only Mine was a movie produced by MarVista entertainment, I was not surprised that the acting was below par.

Next, an upsetting fact is that Only Mine argues that it is based upon the true story of Laura Kucera. At the age of nineteen, Laura was kidnapped and shot by her ex-boyfriend. However, that is basically the only similarity Julie’s story shares with Laura’s: Laura was shot in the head twice and not in her hip, and Laura’s ex-boyfriend was not a cop. Therefore, I believe that it would be more fitting to state that the movie is inspired by a true story.

Overall, with Valentine’s Day steadily approaching, if you are looking for a movie to leave you inspired and longing for love, Only Mine is definitely not the correct choice. However, if you are searching for a film that will leave you paranoid and fearful of trusting a stranger again, look no further.

Click below to view the trailer: