• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Girls varsity basketball preview: Northview, Lowell, & Cedar Springs

Coming off of three straight conference wins, the 10-4 (5-2) Rangers have a big week ahead of them due to rescheduled games. FHC will take on three competitive conference opponents while looking to continue its winning streak.

First on the schedule for the Rangers comes the toughest game of the week against Northview tonight at 5:00 at home. After losing their very first game of the season to Rockford, the Wildcats have gone on a 13-game win streak that includes ten conference wins and puts them on the top of the OK White with an unblemished record.

Northview was able to hand FHC its first conference loss 48-39 in overtime the first time around. This game was the beginning of the Rangers’ mid-season offensive draught, and they played well under full potential against the Wildcats while still managing to keep the game close. Northview, however, also didn’t play to its full caliber and since then has posted impressive wins over the very competitive Forest Hills Northern Huskies, who the Rangers lost to, in addition to Greenville, Lowell, and Cedar Springs, who FHC was able to beat as well.

The Rangers will then travel to 6-10 (4-6) Lowell on Wednesday after playing the Red Arrows just last week. FHC completely dominated against Lowell, holding the usually competitive rival to just 18 points total and 3 in the first half. Senior Claire Baguley was unstoppable against the Red Arrows, as she posted a career-high 32 points. While Lowell did have an off game against FHC, the Rangers played very cohesively and was the better team throughout all four quarters.

FHC will have a quick turnaround after Wednesday’s game, as it will then travel to 7-8 (3-6) Cedar Springs Thursday night for yet another make-up game. The Rangers were able to beat Cedar Springs 53-44 the first time around. Sophomore Brittney Probst’s face-guard defending kept the Red Hawks’ leading scorer, Brighton Miller, to just 6 points in the last contest, while Claire was key on the offensive end.

The Rangers have played some of their best basketball all season the past couple of weeks due to a new, introspective approach on the team, and it has proven to be extremely successful. FHC has outscored its last three opponents 182-89, with Claire being responsible for 73 points over the last three games. Freshman Theryn Hallock comes into this week off of a very impressive game Friday night against Ottawa Hills, where she posted a career-high 22 points in addition to 4 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 steals, and a block.

The Rangers have been extremely productive on both sides of the court as of late and continued execution will be key for an action-packed week of games. If FHC can continue to play to its full potential, look for the Rangers to go 3-0 this week while handing the top spot in the OK White, Northview, its first conference loss tonight.

Molly Donovan, Sports Editor in Chief

Molly is writing for the FHC Sports Report for her second year, and she has taken over the Sports Editor in Chief role. She is excited to be part of another...