• Varsity girls soccer game at home: 3/25

• Hour delay: 3/20

• Coin War donations at all lunches: 3/18-3/22

Girls varsity basketball comes back to beat Northern 52-45

Freshman Remmie Ingraham’s career-high 15-point performance was a spark for the girls varsity basketball team in its comeback win over rival Forest Hills Northern 52-45.

“It feels good [to score my career high],” said Remmie, who also added 6 rebounds on the night as a presence in the post. “I felt like I was kind of in a rut, so it’s good to be back in the groove; I feel like I played well.”

The first quarter was slow offensively for both squads, as a 3-0 lead for the Rangers was quickly tied up by a very long three-pointer from Northern senior guard Sadie Knee. The score remained deadlocked at 3 apiece for another four minutes before both teams could find the basket. The crosstown rivals sat knotted up at 7 after the first.

Sadie opened up the second quarter with another three-pointer, as she was the Huskies’ leading scorer with 18 last night. Northern quickly went on a 7-0 through the second quarter to put themselves up 17-9. Remmie found her only 3 points of the first half from behind the arc late in the second, but Northern was able to instantly respond. The Rangers found themselves with a hole to dig out of, as they trailed 20-12 at the break.

“The second quarter didn’t go our way,” said freshman Theryn Hallock, who was the leading scorer for FHC with 17 points. “We came back from halftime after a good talk, and we just went at it; we knew we had this game.”

The trio of Remmie, Theryn, and senior Claire Baguley came alive in third quarter to completely swing the momentum in FHC’s favor. With Claire posting 15 points, the three combined for 47 of the Rangers’ 52 points. The other 5 came from junior Ally Ringler, who also grabbed 4 rebounds, had an assist, and came away with a steal on some great hustle plays all night.

A dagger from behind the arc followed by a shifty drive gave Remmie on her own 5-0 scoring run to pull the Rangers within 2 halfway into the third. A steal and breakaway layup from Theryn tied things up at 22 a minute later.

In the last two minutes of the third quarter, the Rangers snatched all the momentum. Claire first found the basket on a reverse layup. A steal from sophomore Zoe Lipke then led to a fast-break layup from Claire plus the foul. The senior guard converted the three-point play to give FHC the lead at 27-25 with one minute remaining.

Claire, who had a team-high 4 assists, then found Theryn in the corner for a three-pointer. On the very next possession, Ally came up with a steal and passed it to Theryn, who batted it across the lane to Claire with ten seconds left in the quarter. An offensive foul on Sadie Knee on the other end of the court for her fourth of the night was the tipping point that gave FHC control of the game. The Rangers led 32-28 after their best third quarter of the season.

“We didn’t have a third-quarter slump; the girls played really well,” head coach Kristina Prins said. “We told them to go out there and play how we know they can play. I think they’re finally believing how good they are.”

Theryn started the fourth quarter off with her third three-pointer of the night to round out a 13-3 scoring run from FHC. With the scrappiness in this rivalry game, the Huskies started to lose composure while the Rangers remained in control and ran the clock down on long offensive possessions for the 52-45 win.

“As a team we know when to relax, and we have each other’s backs,” Theryn said. “Our teamwork tonight was unreal; we relied on each other, trusted each other, passed it around, and didn’t panic.”

This win gives the Rangers a final regular-season record of 13-6 (8-4) and sole possession of second place in the OK White conference.

“We were aiming for first [in the conference], but it feels pretty good to get second,” Remmie said. “We’re just ready to get back at it during Districts and hopefully go far.”

The Rangers will take on the Greenville Yellow Jackets for the first round of District play on Monday at Northview. FHC is 1-1 against Greenville this season, with the loss coming as a heartbreaker earlier this week.

“Greenville is a good team,” Theryn said, “but I think we’re prepared. We know how they play and we’re all ready.”

Molly Donovan, Sports Editor in Chief

Molly is writing for the FHC Sports Report for her second year, and she has taken over the Sports Editor in Chief role. She is excited to be part of another...