• Varsity girls soccer game at home: 3/25

• Hour delay: 3/20

• Coin War donations at all lunches: 3/18-3/22

Girls varsity basketball gets upset for season-ending loss

Sophomore Katy Majick and freshman Remmie Ingraham led a too-little-too-late comeback, as the Lady Rangers found themselves on the wrong end of an upset. FHC dropped the District Semifinal to Cedar Springs 42-38 for a season-ending loss.

The Red Hawks came to play, as they put up a 7-0 run to open up the game. Remmie showed some post moves for FHC’s first points halfway through the first quarter, but the Rangers’ lack of communication on the defensive end was crippling. Cedar Springs led 14-6 after the first quarter, during which FHC made three shots out of 12 while turning the ball over five times.

Senior Claire Baguley put up 6 points in the second quarter with contested shots in the paint, while Remmie hit a three-pointer early on to pull FHC within 6 at 17-11. Remmie was tasked with guarding Cedar Springs’ leading scorer, senior Brighton Miller, throughout the first two quarters and picked up her third foul late in the half. The Red Hawks continued to lead 21-15 at the break.

Cedar Springs center Arianna Rau was in all the right places in third quarter, as she scored 8 straight points for the Red Hawks simply by standing on the block in a hole in FHC’s defense. Cedar Springs extended its lead to 31-19 halfway through the quarter, forcing FHC into a full timeout to regroup.

The Rangers held the Red Hawks scoreless throughout the rest of the third quarter but could only muster 4 more points; Remmie, who had a team-high 8 rebounds, grabbed an offensive rebound and made the ensuing shot with a minute remaining. She then picked up her fourth foul late in the third, sidelining her for some precious minutes going into the fourth with the Rangers down 31-23.

With Remmie sidelined and two more starters picking up their third fouls early in the fourth, Katy became a spark off the bench. Assisted by junior Ally Ringler, Katy hit a dagger from behind the arc 30 seconds into the quarter, then sank another in similar fashion to bring the score to 32-29 halfway through the fourth. A couple of free throws from freshman Theryn Hallock pulled FHC within 4 on the very next possession.

After a few free throws from the Red Hawks, who were in the bonus early after FHC was frequently whistled on its scrappy style of play, Remmie drove and picked up the foul for the three-point play to bring the Rangers within 4 again at 40-36 with just under two minutes remaining. Remmie again found the basket for her final points of her team-high 12 to pull FHC within 3, 41-38, with 25 seconds left.

The Rangers, unfortunately, had to foul to stop the clock and sent the Red Hawks to the line multiple times. After many missed free throws, Cedar Springs sank all they needed with one. Down 42-38, the Rangers had two chances from behind the arc, both of which rimmed out.

While the Red Hawks came to play like FHC hadn’t seen before, the Rangers shot themselves in the foot in this one. They shot just 28% from the field with 16 turnovers on the offensive end.

This heartbreaker ends FHC’s season and hopes of a playoff run. The Rangers finished 14-7 overall while taking second place in the OK White. While graduating their leading scorer in Claire, the Rangers return four out of five starters from this year’s very young squad and will look to compete for the conference title next season.

Molly Donovan, Sports Editor in Chief

Molly is writing for the FHC Sports Report for her second year, and she has taken over the Sports Editor in Chief role. She is excited to be part of another...