• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

JV water polo bounces back to finish 3-1 in Jenison JV Tournament

After an unsuccessful trip to Jenison last Thursday to lose 10-1, the JV water polo team had a much better showing in the Jenison JV tournament. FH went 3-1 against opponents in Portage, Rockford, Hudsonville, and Howell/East Lansing.

FHE sophomore Hannah Heemstra played an excellent tournament both offensively and defensively along with FHC sophomores Rachel Schenk and Caroline Bell. 

On Friday, the girls got their first win of the tournament against Rockford in thrilling fashion. The offense came alive at the start, and the defense was great down the stretch in order to put Rockford away. A long shot by Hannah shut the door on Rockford’s chances of winning the game, giving FH the win 8-6.

On Saturday, the ladies started off with another win, beating Portage 11-4. The offense once again came alive at the start, and Portage could not stop FH from getting a lot of opportunities at the net.

The team then took on Hudsonville, who it had already faced once before, and defeated the Eagles 7-5. The defense came up huge in this game, holding Hudsonville to 0 goals in the last couple minutes of the game.

FH’s final game came against Howell/East Lansing. The team, unfortunately, lost 10-9. The ladies got off to a slow start, going down 6-2 early, but made a valiant comeback to knot the game at 9. With just a couple minutes left, Howell/East Lansing iced the game with a goal, and FH lost 10-9.

After the tournament, the ladies now sit at a very solid 4-2 overall record heading into their last game before Spring Break. This Tuesday, they will take on the Grandville Bulldogs on the road. In order to win, FH will need to keep up its consistency on both sides of the ball.

Tommy Spaletto, Sports Report

Tommy Spaletto is a junior at FHC and enters his second year on the staff. He looks to finish out his remaining years in high school and he sees journalism...