Girls JV soccer dominates the midfield en route to 4-0 victory

Matthew Mahoney

More stories from Matthew Mahoney

Jaden Talley
January 20, 2021
Top 5 Winners
November 30, 2020

The center midfield duo of freshman Claudia Folkert and sophomore Ashley Bowen scored a goal apiece from the center of the field Tuesday, controlling the game from the middle of the park throughout the entire game alongside fellow midfielders freshmen Olivia Bowling and Ruthie Vanskiver. The lead was built up early on in the game, and the girls continued building it up and defending strongly en route to the 4-0 win over Grand Rapids Christian.

Coming into the game, the girls didn’t really know what to expect. With not knowing much about the opposing team, the team simply had to play as it did in the previous two games. The Eagles were giving the Rangers plenty of space in the midfield, leaving plenty of time for the FHC midfielders to penetrate the GRC defense and get shots off. Freshman Addi Tack started off the scoring from 18 yards out quickly into the first half, which was followed up by with a goal from Claudia. To end the first half, Ruthie added to the lead to make it 3-0, and the girls ended on a dominant note.

Other than the domination in the midfield, the girls couldn’t capitalize on their opportunities. That was the case until ten minutes to go in the game when Ashley scored her lone goal of the game. With the other two games being blowouts, this game was the first time the team figured out how to beat a good team like Christian. The girls stopped almost all of the Eagles’ threatening attacks and recorded their second clean sheet of the season.

Moving into Spring Break, the girls have an undefeated record of 3-0 against three non-conference teams. Upon returning from break, the Rangers will take on the Gull Lake Blue Devils and look to cap off the first slate of non-conference games with an undefeated record.