• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Varsity baseball falls late to FHN 9-8, looks for redemption in unfinished series

Senior Kyle Wojczynski led the Rangers in their season-opener against crosstown rival Forest Hills Northern with 3 hits, an RBI, and a run scored in game one of the varsity baseball team’s doubleheader.

Despite a solid offensive performance from FHC, the Huskies had a late comeback to seal a 9-8 victory; the second game of the night was stopped after two innings with FHN up 2-1 due to darkness and will be completed at FHC on Friday before the third, regularly-scheduled game of the series.

Kyle’s first hit of the game came in the top of the first to drive in a run, but the Huskies came out hot in the bottom half of the inning and led 3-1 after the first. After picking up a sole run in the second inning and a big 4-run third, FHC took a 6-3 lead.

The rivals found themselves knotted up at 8 headed into the sixth inning, during which Northern posted 3 runs in the bottom half. The Rangers’ bats went cold at the wrong time in the top of the seventh, and they couldn’t respond; FHC lost a heartbreaker 9-8.

FHC outhit the Huskies 10-5, led by Kyle with 3 and fellow senior Joe Szczepanek with 2. Senior Luke Herzog picked up a base hit, 2 walks, and 2 RBIs, while seniors Adam Tellier and Dylan Tucker crossed the plate two times each.

Senior Cole Coughlin got the start on the mound, as he went four innings for FHC. He gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, and 4 runs. Relief pitchers Adam and senior lefty Jake Hornbeck both came in for an inning apiece, during which they allowed a combined 5 runs, all of which were earned.

The second game of the night saw continued offensive production from the Huskies, as they were able to push a run across in both of the two innings played. In the second, Cole was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a single from senior Ethan Vredenburg. Junior Grant Coughlin then doubled, driving in his older brother Cole for FHC’s sole run.

Sophomore Brady Price got the start in game two of the night and allowed 2 earned runs with 1 strikeout so far.

The Rangers fall to 0-1 but still have a chance to take the series against FHN. FHC will play at home on Friday to complete five innings of the unfinished game and play another against Northern. The boys will then have a quick turnaround to play in the Eagle/Sader Invite on Saturday.

Molly Donovan, Sports Editor in Chief

Molly is writing for the FHC Sports Report for her second year, and she has taken over the Sports Editor in Chief role. She is excited to be part of another...