• March 254/12: M-STEP for 11th Graders
  • March 254/11: ACT WorkKeys for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: No school for 12th graders
  • March 254/10: SAT for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: PSAT for 9th and 10th Graders
  • March 254/20: Prom
  • March 253/28-4/7: Spring Break

Ally Stapleton

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief

Ally is entering her second year on staff and is an Editor in Chief this year. Ally served as the Copy Editor for the Central Trend last year and enjoyed the opportunity to write stories about interesting members of the FHC community and participate in the transition from newspaper to magazine. She is also a captain of the cross country team and participates in varsity track, National Honors Society, and the Kids’ Food Basket Youth Action Board. She volunteers regularly at a senior living center and for the local parks. Ally got involved in the journalism program because she loves to write, and she has enjoyed getting to know all the amazingly fun staff members of the Central Trend.

• Favorite thing about being on staff: Learning peoples' hidden talents and stories when writing articles about them
  • Favorite type of story to write: Spotlights/Profiles
  • Extracurriculars/Sports: Cross Country, Track, NHS, orchestra
  • Hobbies/Interests: outdoor activities (hiking, biking, running), photography, reading, exploring new places
  • Favorite book and why: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne - The point of view is really original and makes you think about the time period and human relationships in general in a new way.
  • If it is Friday night, you will most likely find Ally: Relaxing with friends or family, often with a movie and good food
All content by Ally Stapleton
Robotics team finishes best year ever with a trip to Worlds

Robotics team finishes “best year ever” with a trip to Worlds

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 16, 2016

Six weeks: that’s 42 days. 1008 hours. 60,480 minutes. 3,628,800 seconds. For some people, it’s simply a little over a month, or maybe one part of a marking period in school. It might be the duration...

Tackling the Thank-Yous

Tackling the Thank-You’s

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 6, 2016

I’ve had a long and happy relationship with words; since the earliest days my hands could shakily trace out the alphabet, I’ve been filling up notebooks at an abnormally fast rate with journal entries,...

My Dog and Is Love-Hate, But Mostly Love, Relationship

My Dog and I’s Love-Hate, But Mostly Love, Relationship

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief April 15, 2016

When I brought home our family’s first-ever dog with my sister and my dad in fourth grade, I had idyllic images of the life that Murphy and I would lead together. I envisioned him sprinting after a bright...

Hundreds of FHC string players perform in 32nd annual Spring String Fling

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief March 22, 2016

The symphony and concert orchestras from FHC joined forces with the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade orchestras from Central Woodlands and Central Middle on Tuesday night for their annual Spring String Fling,...

Slowing Down

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief March 18, 2016

It was Philippians 4:4 which made me tense up a little. Not the verse itself: Philippians 4:4 is actually a lovely Bible verse about joy which has always been one of my favorites. It was what one of...

Series finale of Downton Abbey closes out six seasons of high-quality drama

Series finale of “Downton Abbey” closes out six seasons of high-quality drama

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief March 11, 2016

My addiction began during Christmas break of my sophomore year. Actually, it was my whole family’s addiction. It began under the lights of our Christmas tree on the night of December 25th, pulling in...

Secretary Kathy Nibbelink adds role in The Little Mermaid to list of accomplishments before retiring

Secretary Kathy Nibbelink adds role in “The Little Mermaid” to list of accomplishments before retiring

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief March 4, 2016

“To the counseling office…” Any student who has heard those four words broadcasted through the halls of FHC between classes needs no introduction to Kathy Nibbelink. Nibbelink has worked as a...

Sprinting, Surviving, and Senior Year

Sprinting, Surviving, and Senior Year

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief February 26, 2016

Ellipticals are not fun machines. I spent a depressingly high proportion of my cross country season on an elliptical, hating almost every minute of it, and I know from experience that they are just...

Cover artwork for The Okovongo, Volume 1: Zoboomafoo Exacts His Revenge on PBS was done by junior Dani Rodriguez.

Junior and Senior Team up to Release Jazz Album

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief February 19, 2016

Senior Geoff Brown and junior Bennett Hendricks sit at a table in the media center, grasping at musical terms in an attempt to define the fifth song on their recently-released album, The Okovongo, Volume...

Robert De Niro drives The Intern to comedic success

Robert De Niro drives “The Intern” to comedic success

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief February 12, 2016

Equal parts social commentary, heartwarming narrative, and comedic adventure, The Intern packs a lot into 121 minutes. Under the skillful sincerity of Robert De Niro’s acting, however, those minutes...

The songs I used to know

The songs I used to know

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief February 5, 2016

It was a bit of a surprise when the opening xylophone notes of “Somebody That I Used to Know” cruised out of my speakers earlier this week. I was certainly caught off guard by the fact that the song...

GSA seeks to promote acceptance and awareness among students

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief January 22, 2016

“It’s uncomfortable,” begins one student. “It’s hard to talk about,” continues another. “It’s too relevant.” “Yeah, it’s kind of glaring people in the face. And what do we...

An Ode to the Little Things

An Ode to the Little Things

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief January 19, 2016

2016 will arguably be one of the biggest years of my life. In the 366 days contained within this calendar year, I will choose a college, graduate high school, leave home to live without my parents for...

Downtown Market brings originality and authenticity to the table

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief January 14, 2016

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I’m a little bit in love with food. Admit it - you have your own love affair with the things you eat, too, don’t you? Like any relationship, the connection...

Argos Book Shop and Redux Books provide whimsical alternative to Barnes and Noble

Argo’s Book Shop and Redux Books provide whimsical alternative to Barnes and Noble

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief December 18, 2015

I believe it’s necessary to begin this review with a warning: secondhand bookstores come with a distinct smell. They actually smell somewhat musty, as if each paperback has marinated in minor dampness...

Spelling and Slacking

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief December 15, 2015

In some ways, I think my fourth grade spelling tests may have been the peak of my educational career. The spelling test system in Mrs. Brown’s class at Defer Elementary School was somewhat complex:...

Winter Collage Concert showcases musical skills of nearly 400 students

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief December 11, 2015

On Thursday, December 10th, 378 FHC students converged on the stage of the Forest Hills Fine Arts Center to play Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride” as the finale of a major musical event. The final whip-crack...

What do you like?

What do you like?

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief December 4, 2015

Not too long ago, someone asked me a question that, despite its apparent simplicity, I found incredibly difficult to answer. What do you like? The question at first appeared to be an easy one. I...

Athletic department continues mandatory in-season strength and conditioning for all athletes

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief November 13, 2015

It’s a relatively small room, set back in a corner of the school that many students pass only as they are leaving or entering the building. Its doors are often locked, yet as one glances through the...

Dear Cross Country

Dear Cross Country

Dear Cross Country, This is a thank-you letter. It’s not, I hope, a goodbye, although I suppose it is a goodbye to this era of our relationship. It is an attempt to express my gratitude for what you’ve...

A Tale of Two Regionals

A Tale of Two Regionals

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief November 2, 2015

It was cold. It was wet. It was muddy. And we qualified for states. Twice, this has been the story for the girls cross country team: once in 2013 when I was a sophomore, and once again this past Saturday,...

The Middle provides lighthearted evening entertainment

“The Middle” provides lighthearted evening entertainment

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 30, 2015

Prior to a few weeks ago, I had a hole in my life that needed filling. Its emptiness left me feeling adrift, bored, a little downcast. I was desperately in need of some kind of palliative remedy to eliminate...

Its All About Winning

It’s All About Winning

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 23, 2015

"It’s not all about winning," everyone always says. And they’re right: life is not about winning. Success is not dependent on winning. Self-worth should not be based upon winning. I’d be the first...

Boys Varsity Tennis Looks to Defend State Title at 2015 State Tournament

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 15, 2015

The boys varsity tennis team is heading to Holly, Michigan on Friday to compete in the state tournament. With top seeds in nearly every flight, the Rangers are looking to defend the state title that they...

The FHC Rangers compete against the EGR Pioneers for top spots in the 400 meter freestyle relay at the end of Tuesdays meet.

Girls Swim and Dive falls to East Grand Rapids in first conference loss of the season

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 13, 2015

After a tough battle at East Grand Rapids on Tuesday night, the girls swim and dive team fell 20 points short of a victory over the pioneers, who are the number-one ranked Division 2 team in the state...

Homecoming 2015

Coming Home for Homecoming

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 9, 2015

A little over three years ago, I thought my life was over. As I pulled out of my driveway in Grosse Pointe, Michigan for the last time ever on June 30th, 2012, I truly believed that I was leaving all joy,...

Senior Geoff Brown turns lifelong interest in music into a full-length album

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief October 2, 2015

“These polyrhythms coming up are dope. This drummer’s on the highest level of drumming that there is,” says senior Geoff Brown. “This drum solo at the end is just insane. There’s this big five...

Grand Rapids Symphony Provides Surprisingly Entertaining Evening

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief September 25, 2015

Symphony concerts are not entirely new to me. I have early memories of attending several Detroit Symphony Orchestra concerts as a kid, squirming in my seat and counting down the minutes until the music...

Rehearsals begin for Anne of Green Gables

Rehearsals begin for “Anne of Green Gables”

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief September 22, 2015

As the lights go down in the FHC auditorium and the first line of Anne of Green Gables is spoken on Thursday, November 12th, opening night for the fall play, it might be easy for audience members to look...

Alone in the Crowd

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief September 17, 2015

There’s always been something relaxing for me about being alone. Don’t get me wrong: I’m not antisocial. I like spending time with friends and family just as much as anyone else, and I love the...

Ada Pour House makes up for slow service with excellent food

Upon entering the Ada Pour House & Gastropub for the first time, I was overwhelmed not by any culinary aromas but by a tidal wave of periwinkle-blue paint. The Ada Pour House is located in the Ada...

Beyond Eleven

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief September 2, 2015

In the process of writing this column, I made a strange Google search: “short story eleven red sweater.” Thanks to the wonders of the internet and Google’s uncanny ability to make sense of my strange...

Girls golf opens season with 4th place finish in Traverse City tournament

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief September 1, 2015

The girls’ varsity golf team opened their season with a rainy tournament on August 21st, the Lober Classic in Traverse City. After a 4th place finish there that senior and captain Novi Dosanjh described...

1993 Girls’ Swim and Dive team to be inducted into Athletic Hall of Fame

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief August 31, 2015

1993. 1994. 1996. 1998. 2003. 2004. 2005. The years emblazoned on the state championship banners in the gym tick off quite nicely, missing a year here and there but for the most part maintaining a steady...

Dancing Through Life

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief June 8, 2015

If aliens were suddenly to land on the earth and begin examining the human species, I believe that some of their first remarks would be about dancing. Why are all these people moving so enthusiastically...

“Launchpad” season starts FHC Softball’s journey to the next level

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief June 5, 2015

As the chalk is cleaned off the softball diamond and the dust settles on the infield after three months of use, the FHC softball team is walking away from the season with a record perfectly balanced at...

Underclassmen Honors 2015

On the morning of June 2, FHC held its annual Underclassmen Awards Ceremony in the main gymnasium.  After honoring students in all grades with 3.3 or higher grade point averages, individual honors were...

A Summer Challenge

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 29, 2015

When I was in elementary school, I was a cooking aficionado. Every spring, as warmer weather took away the wet and frigid days of winter, I would begin creating culinary masterpieces that would take...

Biology Teacher Andy Rundquist Completes Final Year at FHC

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 28, 2015

Entering Biology and Human Anatomy teacher Andy Rundquist’s room is a bit like stepping inside a box of crayons, one that sat out too long in the sun, the waxy hues of its slightly melted crayolas mingling...

Why Online Classes are Not the Future of Education

Teenagers are notorious for many things. Pure love of knowledge is not one of them. Depending on who you ask, teens are rebellious, witty, social, secretive, angst-filled, petty, and/or resourceful...

The class of 2017 student council candidates mean business this year. From left: Logan Vredenburg, Rea Parocaran, Mimi Rave, Paityn Wedder, and Bennett Hendricks

Class of 2017 Student Council Roundtable

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 27, 2015

Why did you decide to run for student council? Bennett Hendricks (President): Well we’re all running uncontested. Paityn: We don’t have to give speeches this year, so that was kind of an incentive. (laughs) Mimi...

Beyond the Elements

Beyond the Elements

As chemistry teacher David VonEhr recalls the formative days of his childhood, there is one man who sticks out. A man who kept a pencil and paper at the ready in his pocket, a man who had an answer for...

Jumping for Joy

Jumping for Joy

Freshman Brendan McDonald can barely contain his excitement. He motions through the screen door and runs into Aerials and Baranis Gymnastics Center. He is followed by sophomore Jocelyn Prinz and freshman...

The Bolivian flag

Back from Bolivia

Just days before Victoria Mischley’s junior year of high school, as hundreds of her classmates were preparing for the new school year by buying new clothes, purchasing school supplies, and comparing...

Why Current Events Should be Discussed in School

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 26, 2015

As you sit reading this article, there are approximately 7,316,100,000 people alive on Earth. Somewhere around 83 million of those people live in Egypt, where the former president has recently been...

Marie Catrib’s Provides Exotic Epicurean Experience

Under careful scrutinization, the menu items at Marie Catrib’s in Eastown may seem to have originated under the bumbling fingers of a four-year-old playing in the kitchen. Ginger-tomato chutney? Garlic-lime...

Gail Sutton: Leaving a Learning Legacy

Gail Sutton: Leaving a Learning Legacy

Ally Stapleton, Editor in Chief May 21, 2015

Gail Sutton is a math teacher because she is five-foot-one-and-three-quarters instead of five-foot-two. “[Teaching] didn’t start as my passion, it truly didn’t, I was too short to do what I really...

Load More Stories