Girls JV soccer mercies EGR 8-0

Matthew Mahoney

More stories from Matthew Mahoney

Jaden Talley
January 20, 2021
Top 5 Winners
November 30, 2020
Girls JV soccer mercies EGR 8-0

Moving on from a narrow 2-1 win against Lowell, the girls JV soccer team took on the East Grand Rapids Pioneers in the lone matchup between the two teams. From the beginning, the Rangers dominated and blew the Pioneers away offensively.

Goal scoring was an all-around affair on the day for the Rangers, as five different players scored en route to the 8-0 win.

Right away, sophomore Ashley Bowen was motivated and ready. Thanks to an assist from sophomore Mia Rabideau, Ashley finished off the cross for the 1-0 lead. The other goal scorers for FHC were sophomore Morghan Tilton and freshmen Claudia Folkert, Addi Tack, and Ruthie VanSkiver.

The first half consisted of utter domination from the Rangers. Even though FHC struggled to distribute the ball out of the middle, the Pioneers were clearly inferior to the prowess of the Rangers. Goal after goal, EGR became visibly defeated and tired, especially because of their lack of subs, only having two extra players. The half ended with a 5-0 lead for the Rangers, and they were looking to close things out in the second half.

In the second half, the girls began to pick apart the EGR defense even more so than the first half. While playing one and two-touch passes, the Rangers moved the ball quickly and created chances right away. Mia dished out 4 assists on the day, as she helped the team distribute the ball exceptionally in the second half. Twenty minutes into the half, Ruthie ended the game, mercying the Pioneers by an 8-0 scoreline.

With this win, the girls move to 8-0-1 on the season. The next game for the Rangers is a matchup against Greenville, who they beat handily last year.