• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

JV baseball struggles at Hudsonville tournament

In the Hudsonville JV baseball tournament, the Rangers allowed 2 opponents to score a combined 18 runs, dropping both games to Hudsonville and Jenison.

In game one, the Rangers had a tough draw, having to take on one of the best teams in the area in Hudsonville. FHC sent sophomore Sean Macleod to the mound, and he was able to cruise through the first two innings. In the bottom of the second inning, sophomore Dawsen Beach walked to lead off the inning and later came around on a base hit by fellow sophomore Aidan O’Meara. The Eagles were able to strike right back in the top of the third inning, as their first five batters were able to reach base, and four of them crossed home plate to give the Eagles a 4-1 lead.

The scored stayed at 4-1 until the top of the fifth inning when Hudsonville put together a couple of hits and walks, plating 3 runs to take a 7-1 lead. The Rangers were able to respond with 3 runs of their own in the bottom of the fifth when sophomores Nathan Sigg, Sean, Logan Vanlente, and Dawsen all reached base on four straight hits. Sophomore southpaw Alec Gast took the mound for the Rangers and allowed just 1 run over the final two innings, but the Rangers couldn’t muster anything offensively, dropping game one 8-4.

In game 2, the Rangers sent Dawsen to the mound. Thanks to a couple of walks, hits, and errors, Jenison struck for 7 runs in the bottom of the second inning. Sophomore Evan Van Artsen came on to relieve Dawsen after two outs. In the top of the third inning, Evan walked, stole a base, and later came around on a base hit by sophomore Maguire Mahacek. Evan pitched very well in relief but did allow Jenison to score 3 more runs in the bottom of the sixth. The Rangers were only able to collect three hits over the final 5 innings, and while they did score a run, they did still fall to the Wildcats 10-2.

With the loss, the Rangers have now dropped their past 4 games after starting the season guns blazing at 6-0. The Rangers will be back in action Monday when they host Lowell for a doubleheader.

Sam Tuori, Sports Reporter

Sam Tuori is a sophomore at FHC and this will be his first year on the sports report. Sam plays on the JV Football team.  He enjoys all things sports...