Boys JV lacrosse goes 2-1 at the EGR JV Tournament


Boys JV lacrosse faced off in the EGR JV Tournament on Saturday, May 11. The Rangers were 2-0 on the weekend until they lost 7-6 in the championship game to EGR.

The Rangers started out this weekend with a rather easy game. The talent of FHC just simply overpowered the Northville Mustangs. The boys started out just as they had planned and were quickly up 1-0.  The Rangers ran them up and down the field as freshman goalie Charlie Mehney came up big and shut the opponent out. The Rangers controlled this game from start to finish on both ends of the field. The opponent couldn’t keep up, as the Rangers started out their day with an easy 17-0 win.

The Rangers faced off against Lake Orion in the second game of the day. They ended up winning 10-3 but started out poorly for this game, which set a precedent for the remainder of the day. The Rangers were quickly up 1-0 via a goal from sophomore Collin Ward. Shortly after, the Dragons pushed the Rangers on their heels and scored three goals.  On the offensive end, freshmen Miles Duiven and John Tomsheck came up big for the Rangers as they consistently pushed the ball and effectively kept it out of their opponent’s possession. The Rangers started the first half down 3-2 but quickly turned that around in the second. They went on an 8-0 run led by the offense and assisted by the strong defensive front. This was big for FHC as it carried over into the next game and showed that they were one of the most dominant teams in this tournament.

The next game was against rival school East Grand Rapids. The Rangers had defeated the Pioneers earlier in the season 7-3 but also lost a key offensive player: freshman Nathan Sargeant. Nathan was a big-time player the first game but was pulled up to Varsity shortly before the weekend. Without him, Collin, Miles, and John would have to step up and make some crucial shots in order for the Rangers to succeed.

The Rangers lost the lead early as the Pioneers led 1-0 with a quick offensive strike. Sophomore Reid Davison was phenomenal on the faceoffs, which gave the Rangers a distinct advantage in this match. The opponent kept pushing up the field, but the Ranger defense held strong each time. Led by sophomore captain Sawyer Bosch, the defense came in clutch for FHC, as it kept the score rather low. On the other end, however, the offense couldn’t get much through the Pioneer defense, as it was also very solid. It was a back and forth battle all game until the Rangers were down 7-6 with one minute on the clock. It was Central’s ball, but they ended up giving it up which gave EGR the win by one.

This was a big tournament for the Rangers, but they couldn’t quite finish it off and ended up 2-1 on the weekend. Their record is now 14-2 with a 6-0 conference record. FHC faces off against Orchard Lake St. Mary’s away on Tuesday, May 14.