JV softball splits with Northview in competitive doubleheader

Freshman Remmie Gavle went 3-5 at the plate to lead the Rangers in two hard-fought games against Northview. Due to the competitiveness, FHC was able to split with the Wildcats, losing 4-3 and winning 5-2.

Sophomore Bela Gonzalez took the circle in the first game to give up 4 runs on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks. The Wildcats were able to cross 2 unearned runs due to the Ranger defense’s 3 errors in the game.

Remmie led the team with 2 hits in this game. Freshmen Leanna Clark and Lyra Vandenberg and sophomore Abby Davis all hit .500 in this game with a base hit apiece. Despite solid offensive production, Northview squeaked out a 1-run win over the Rangers 4-3.

In the second game of the night, freshman Alyssa Wierenga was nearly lights out in the circle. She allowed 2 runs on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk.

Alyssa also hit 1.000 in this game with a base hit, while Remmie went 1-2 and Bela led the team with 2 hits in 3 at-bats. The defense held tight, and FHC was able to take the second game of the night 5-2.

With a split doubleheader, the Rangers move to 6-11 (6-7) on the year. The girls will be back in action on Wednesday with a road game against Mona Shores before another tough non-conference test with Hudsonville on Friday.