Freshman football snags its first win 14-0 against Jenison

In their first game of high school football, the freshman football team took care of business, winning 14-0 against Jenison. The team scored all its points in the first half after coming out hot.

The game opened with two turnovers on the Ranger side, but the Wildcats were unable to capitalize. The Rangers then came roaring back, marching down the field and scoring with a short run by Rowan Clay at the beginning of the second quarter. After forcing a punt once again as Jenison tried to answer, the Rangers once again marched down the field, running the Wildcats into the ground. Then, with an amazing one-handed catch by Rowan Clay, the Rangers got to the one-yard line and punched it in shortly after, making the game 14-0.

The second half was characterized by stifling defense on both sides. Micheal Cambell, a strong safety,  killed it on defense with the support of OLB Jack Elliot. The team shut down every attempt to score, shutting Jenison down throughout the second half. The Rangers secured the win with a fourth-down stop on the one-yard line due to a fumble on Jenison’s side. The game ended with the Rangers letting the time go, guaranteeing a season record of 1-0 going into their second game.

The Rangers will be seeking to extend their record to 2-0 as they go home to defend against the West Ottawa Panthers. This will be their first home game and the Rangers are ready for the challenge.