Boys varsity soccer loses second straight game in back-and-forth game against Lowell

Tommy Spaletto

More stories from Tommy Spaletto

Ally Francisco
May 22, 2020

After a tough defeat 4-1 in the hands of the Forest Hills Northern Huskies, the boys varsity soccer team hoped to bounce back and get a win against the Lowell Red Arrows. They unfortunately couldn’t pull out the win, as they fell 3-2 in conference action. Sophomore Ben Taylor and senior Sammy Postlewait provided all the offense for the Rangers en route to the team’s second straight loss. 

The start was not the one in which FHC wished for, as the Red Arrows scored just 5 minutes into the game. The defense started out a little rocky and Lowell controlled the bulk of the momentum early on in the game. The Rangers took a big step forward later in the half, as they started to get much more possessions and took care of the ball better. This smart play lead to a Sammy goal to even things up at 1 late in the half. FHC and the Red Arrows went into halftime in a duel tied 1-1. 

FHC continued its hot start in the second half. They dominated the possessions early on and set the tone for the opening minutes of the second half. The defense also played very well, stopping some threatening chances by the Reda Arrows. To cap off the hot streak, Ben Taylor put a goal behind the net for the Rangers to extend the lead to 2-1. Unfortunately, Lowell was able to turn things around quickly and stun the defense with a goal in the middle of the second half to tie things up. With 10 minutes left in the game, disaster struck for FHC, and Lowell scored a goal to take the lead. The Rangers were given a defeat to the Red Arrows in the end 3-2. 

The loss puts the Rangers at 2-5-3 on the season and 2-3-1 in the OK White conference. Although they are behind in the conference race, FHC still has an opportunity to pick up some wins in conference play with some home games coming up. The boys will host Northview Tuesday night in a rematch from a couple of weeks ago.