Boys JV soccer falls in non-conference showdown to Portage Northern 5-0

This past weekend, the boys JV soccer team took on the Portage Northern Huskies. They made the trek out to the Huskies’ home field early Saturday morning; however, they couldn’t pull off the win and fell to Portage Northern 5-0. 

The game started off close for the Rangers, and they were able to hold off the powerful attacking force of the Huskies to only one goal headed into halftime. As the second half kicked off, Portage made a run and scored four more goals in the half, and despite their best efforts, the Rangers weren’t able to come back. 

Sophomores AJ Knape and Nick Grooters were a stellar duo in the midfield for the Rangers; they connecting passes, settling the ball, and winning the 50/50 balls through the middle. Another dominating duo was freshman Wyat Butler and sophomore Ryan Fitzgerald. These two were very strong on the defensive side of the game and kept the ball out of the Rangers’ half for as long as possible. Despite the tough loss, sophomore David Wasilewski had a solid game in the goal and was able to make several saves off Husky shots. 

The boys JV soccer team is set to take on the East Grand Rapids Pioneers on Monday, September 30. The game will kick off at 3:30 pm at home.