Despite falling 5-4, boys JV tennis shows great improvement against East Grand Rapids

This past Monday, the boys JV tennis team took on East Grand Rapids once again, losing in a very competitive match 5-4. The boys were tied in the eighth match but lost in a tiebreaker in the ninth doubles flight.

A huge win came in the second doubles match, which included freshman Noah Kriekard and sophomore Devin Holcomb winning in the tiebreaker of a tight match 10-6. Participating in seven doubles was the freshman duo of Ryan Waite and Erik Hansen, coming out on top with a clutch win in a tiebreaker 10-5. They went down in the first set 7-5 but came back with a 6-4 win, pushing it to a tiebreaker.

The last match of the day was sophomores Nick Walls and Tommy Laidlaw. At this point,  the two teams were all tied up 4-4, so this match was going to determine who would come out on top. It started out a very close match going back and forth, but in the end, the Rangers couldn’t quite pull it off, losing 8-2. The whole team showed great determination, fighting through adversity and showing great improvement from the last time these two teams went up against each other; the Rangers fell to EGR 9-1 earlier in the season.

The Rangers went through a lot of ups and downs throughout their season.

“It was a much better showing from us than our last match against this team,” head coach Mitchell Timyan said. “I am very pleased that this was our last match of the season, even though it was a loss; we played great!”