NCAA athletes potentially able to earn endorsement in near future

As of Tuesday, October 29th, the NCAA’s organization board of governors voted unanimously to allow student-athletes to profit from their names, images, and likeness. This debate of whether or not college athletes should be paid has been ongoing now for some time. Many people are optimistic about this opportunity and believe it is a big step in the right direction. 

However, student-athletes have to hold up on cashing their paycheck due to the fact that the details of this decision are not yet finalized. It is actually still quite confusing and finalizing the process will take time. The NCAA said they will consider changes, but many rules need to be modified in order to implement the endorsement process.

In the midst of September, the California Governor Gavin Newson signed a bill that will allow state student-athletes to sign sponsorship deals, charge for autographs, and earn endorsement through other opportunities starting in 2023. By doing this, he risked the athlete’s eligibility, but the meeting Tuesday suggests that he may have won the argument. The Illinois governor, as well as the Florida governor, supported Governor Newson with similar legislation in their respective states. 

Tuesday morning, the NCAA said they need to make sure that the new rules still follow the mission of college sports; academics must come first, followed by athletics. Furthermore, they also must consider fair playing grounds for all student-athletes as well as ensure that they are competing against other students and not professionals. 

This topic is heating up across the country. The real question is: Will the NCAA actually follow through with their consideration for change?