Top Fives From Fall Sports Winners

The results for the FHC Sports Report’s Top Fives From Fall Sports are in.

Thank you to all who voted, and congratulations to our winners!

Toughest Loss and Most Entertaining Game: Varsity football vs Grandville – After falling to a 32-7 deficit in the second quarter, the Rangers crawled back with 22 unanswered points to end the game, setting up the offense with one last chance to score the ball down 32-29 with two minutes to play. The Rangers ultimately fell short after senior Jimmy Scholler threw an interception on the offense’s last play of the game, and the final score ended 32-29 in favor of Grandville.

Best Senior: Jimmy Scholler – Senior quarterback Jimmy Scholler led the Ranger offense all year through the air and on the ground; he ran for 775 yards and 18 touchdowns and passed for 1374 yards and 9 touchdowns, combining for a total of 27 touchdowns and earning him All-Conference honors.

Best Individual Performance: Jonah Spates vs Northview – After losing to Northview 33-0 in the previous year, Jonah Spates led the Rangers to a 28-0 win with six tackles and two interceptions on defense, as well as recording six catches for 121 yards on offense. With this performance, he was nominated for MLive’s Grand Rapids Player of the Week.

Best Upset: JV football vs Grandville – This same group of guys fell to Grandville freshman year by a whopping 44-0 scoreline. Thanks to two touchdowns from sophomore Rhosias Arius, a JV returner, the Rangers were able to outscore Grandville as well as hold them defensively for a 27-16 win.

Best Under the Radar Team: Girls JV Golf  – The girls exceeded expectations this year and even claimed a conference title against powerful programs like Forest Hills Northern. Sophomores Alyssa Cheslek and Lexi Schneckler led the team with a combined four first-place individual finishes throughout the season.

Best Dynamic Duo: Sam VanDeReit and Brandon Weiskopf – These two seniors both found their place at defensive end for varsity football this year, composing part of the dominant defensive line that held many of its opponents to low scoring totals.

Best Clutch Moment: Julia Bouma’s seven aces in the District Final – Against the Lowell Red Arrows in the District Final, junior Julia Bouma served seven aces in a row to bring the Rangers to a 21-13 lead in the second set.

Best Breakout Season: Equestrian – The equestrian team took the competition by storm this season as they made it all the way to the State finals. Following a second-place finish at Regionals, the girls clinched a seventh-place finish in Midland to conclude the season.

Best Underclassman: Brooklyn Conner – Sophomore Brooklyn Conner returned for her second year on varsity volleyball this year after a breakout season during her freshman year. She was a huge threat near the net throughout the entirety of the season, racking up 284 kills and 62 total blocks during this year.