Girls freshman basketball picks up first win of the season over FHE

Last week, the girls freshman basketball team took on the Forest Hills Eastern Hawks in its third game of the season. After starting off the season with two tough losses, the Rangers were able to revenge themselves in this game and walked away victorious with a score of 34-23. 

Sophomore Madison Wilkins started off the game on fire for the Rangers and was the only one to score in the first quarter, contributing six points in FHC’s favor. However, in the second quarter, freshman Frankie Sutton made her presence known on the court and put up a three, a layup, and a free throw for the Rangers. Alongside Frankie were her fellow freshmen Maya Holser and Elizabeth Latunski, who each put up a much-needed basket for the Rangers in the second. 

As the third quarter commenced, Maya was able to make two baskets for the Rangers, along with a made free throw; freshman Gracie Vermeulen also had two points in the third quarter. The Rangers stellar defense also proved to be a useful tool in this game, along with their ability to score; five of the ten players put points of the board for the Rangers. Headed into the fourth quarter, the Rangers had a comfortable lead and stayed ahead as they went on to score eight more points in the fourth. 

The Rangers are now sitting at a record of 1-2 and will be heading to Grandville High School this Tuesday, Dec. 17 to take on the Grandville Bulldogs. Tip-off will take place at 5:30 pm.