Staff Q&As: Ashlyn Korpak

Name: Ashlyn Korpak

Grade: 12

Position: Editor in Chief

Semesters spent on TCT: 7

1. Why did you decide to join TCT?

“When I came into high school as a freshman, I was nervous—to say the least. I had known and looked up to Mr. George my entire life, and I wanted a familiar face in my schedule. I honestly didn’t even know what the class was—other than it involved writing—when I decided to join. But, I had always loved writing and quickly fell in love with the class; now, I’m the only current four-year student and an Editor in Chief.”

2. How has TCT helped you grow as a writer and person?

“TCT has undoubtedly made me who I am today. High school shapes you in a multitude of ways, but it was The Central Trend, Mr. George, and the family I have made in the class that have molded me into the person I am. The class has taught me both people skills and writing skills; being an Editor in Chief has been a once in a lifetime experience in leadership which, in only a semester, has taught me so much. Mr. George and his constant, dare I say, friendship have given me confidence and guidance. To have had him in my life practically every day for four years has given me stability and a friendship that, while it goes through its struggles, I know I will have for a lifetime.”

3. If you were a type of cheese, what type of cheese would you be?

“I would be Colby Jack. It has been a long-time favorite of mine, and I strongly identify with the two parts to the cheese. I am a Gemini and have been known to have kind of two parts to who I am.”

4. What is your favorite thing about writing?

“Writing is a way to self-express. For my first three years on staff, it was about finding my own voice and learning to speak up about things that were important to me. This year, I have had far less time to focus on my own writing, but I have been so blessed in getting to watch the voices of others grow. Seeing how this year’s staff has developed and become even stronger in who they are as individuals and as a group, to me, is what writing is all about: development and community.”

5. What’s your funniest story of complications while working on a story?

“There wasn’t a single complication when I wrote this story a few years ago. The interview was great. The story flowed. And it went out on time. The problem came after the story had been published. The main interviewee in the story felt that I had misrepresented her. It was absolutely terrifying, and this is why journalists save all their interviews.”

6. Who’s your favorite literary character and why?

“This is such an evil question. I don’t even know. I fall so deeply in love with each character as I read a book and am immersed in their story. I’m going to tell you who my least favorite character is. I don’t even have one of those. I just really don’t like Gene from A Separate Peace.”

7. What is your favorite type of story to write and why?

“Oh gosh, I don’t know. I used to always say col-itorials. It’s a story type I made up that is a mix between columns and editorials. Mostly, I just sucked at writing un-opinionated columns. But, to be honest, I don’t really have a favorite. A good story is a story that comes from a place of passion, and that can show up in any story type as long as you really care about what you are writing about and you want it to be great and make a difference.”

8. What are your aspirations for the upcoming decade?

“I want to stand tall in who I am. I want to really develop my voice. And I think that comes with finally stepping outside of Forest Hills. In a few months, I go to college. I’m not sure yet where I will end up, but I want to find my place in this world.”