Boys JV Basketball falls in 4OT thriller to Ottawa Hills 110-107

In four overtimes against Ottawa Hills, the boys JV Basketball team lost on a buzzer-beater three-pointer with an incredible final score of 110-107. This game was one of the most unique situations to happen in at Rangers’ home court in quite some time. The game started at 5:30 PM and did not reach its end until around 8:00 PM, forcing the varsity game to be pushed back. The boys fought hard the entire time, keeping themselves in the game and fighting for the winning basket after trailing by a lot in the first half.

Ottawa Hills is an athletic and tough team to play against, but no one expected the play to reach this intense level. The entire game was a nail biter; at one point, the Rangers were down by 21 points. Sophomores Jacob Bonnett and Conner Milton led their team in regulation, allowing them to make up the 20 point difference and continue to fight for a win. Sophomore Pierson VanGorp also really stepped up when the first overtime came around, helping to keep his team in the game.

During regulation play, three of FHC’s starters fouled out, so they had guys that weren’t used to playing a ton of minutes playing in all of the overtimes. Every player on the FHC team played their hearts out, keeping their heads level and focusing on finishing the game. Unfortunately, this game came to a close when an Ottawa Hills player shot a three that luckily went in at the buzzer of the fourth overtime.

“Countless plays and moments made huge differences,” head coach Jordan George said. “[Sophomore] Maxime’s [Larmande] huge pull-up jumper to give us the lead in the fourth overtime, [sophomore] Louis Craffey’s driving layup in the third overtime, [sophomore] Joe Murdock’s layup, Pierson’s threes, [sophomore] Ben’s [Scholler] defense, Conner and [sophomore] Rhosias’ [Arius] rebounding—everyone played for their teammates.”

Next up for the boys is a rivalry game against Forest Hills Northern on Thursday, January 23rd at 5:30 PM at home.