Freshman volleyball finishes 1-2 at Lakeshore Classic

This past weekend, the girls freshman volleyball team participated in the Grand Haven Lakeshore Classic where they played some very solid competition. The girls had a tough day, and were not the happiest with their performance. 

In the first match8, they squared off against a non-conference Holland Christian team. The game started off slow with both teams not really doing much. Once the teams started to warm up, Holland Christian started gaining a solid lead that the Rangers couldn’t keep up with. They ended up losing the first set 25-17. This was only the second time so far that the girls have lost a set, so going into the second set they were not as confident as they usually are. The same pattern from the first game continued in the second as the Rangers just couldn’t get much going. Holland Christian took advantage of this and started to pull away once again and won the second set 25-15. 

In the second game, the team faced off against another non conference team, Zeeland East. After just coming off from the lost to Holland Christian, the girls didn’t have the same confidence and energy that they usually have. The first set was close but they ended up losing once again 25-21. The team really needed to bounce back. In the second set, the girls played much better and held their own with Zeelend. The game was very close the whole way through, but once again the team took another tough loss in a 25-23 final score. The girls still had one last game to play and really needed to bounce back.

In the final match, the girls took on Grand Haven. The Rangers were very disappointed with their previous losses and wanted to at least go home with one win. In the first game, both teams played very well. The girls were doing everything right but so was Grand Haven. No team really gained a huge lead until the end, where Grand Haven pulled away and won the first set 25-19. In the second game, the girls played great once again. Although Grand Haven did take a huge lead at the start, the Rangers fought hard to get back into the game. Freshman Ashtyn Scarlato really stepped up and made some huge plays. She led the team to win the second set by a solid 25-18 score. The final set went really well for the team that was finalized with the Rangers on top 15-11.

“We all played really well in the last set, everyone played great,” freshmen Maggie Sneider said. 

Although the girls lost the first two games, they were happy to end the day with a win. They are now 7-2 on the season, and play their next game at home against East Grand Rapids on Tuesday, October 6th.