The Prom is a testament to the fact that love is love

The prom movie poster from Imp awards

I am a big fan of Broadway, even more so one of Broadway musicals turned into films. 

So when I heard that another Broadway movie would be coming to Netflix while sitting on my bed, I instantly had to go and watch it. 

The Prom came out on December 4, 2020, and it was produced by Ryan Murphy, Alexis Martin Woodall, and Matthew Sklar. The producers made every scene full of so much emotion, and they were executed very well. The music featured in the movie was created by Matthew Sklar and David Klotz. 

The Prom opens with Barry Glickman (James Corden) and Dee Dee Allen (Meryl Streep) as they are celebrating their Broadway show opening only to find out that it failed miserably by getting terrible reviews online. 

When Barry and Dee Dee were sitting at a bar sulking about their show, they find out that a high school in Edgewater, Indiana, is canceling prom because they are not letting a lesbian couple attend. This leads Barry, Dee Dee, and their castmates to go down there to help them out, but that is secretly not Dee Dee’s intention.

When watching The Prom, it was like I was there in person and seeing it live on the Broadway stage. The dancing, singing, and acting tied the whole show together, and I loved every moment of it. This movie has the perfect amount of LGBTQ+ representation, and it shows the struggles of the characters. 

The couple that is excluded from prom is Emma Nolan (Jo Ellen Pellman) and Alyssa Greene (Ariana DeBose). When the famous Broadway performers arrive at the high school, they try to fix the prom cancelation. 

The songs in The Prom were very catchy, and I found myself even singing along to them. It made me want to go listen to the soundtrack alone. The song that really made me happy was when Barry, many years after graduation, is finally able to go to the prom as an openly gay man. 

The director, Ryan Murphy, picked the cast perfectly. The majority of the members have experienced Broadway actors, so they knew exactly what they were doing when singing. However, some actors, like Pellman, are fairly new to the movie scene but have been in a few Broadway shows. 

One of the main characters, Dee Dee, secretly had her own plan when coming to Indiana. Since her Broadway show turned out to be a disaster, she uses Emma’s troubles to promote her image on social media so that her Broadway career doesn’t fail. 

Throughout the movie, a strong message was well conveyed; it showed the struggles of LGBTQ+ students in high school. This movie taught me that no matter who you love, no one is different and to accept everyone for who they are because, in The Prom, they have the LGBTQ+ characters face problems such as getting kicked from the school dance and being excluded from their families for being themselves. 

When it comes to musical films, I’ve seen one too many, but this one shows how love is truly love.