Division Two Football Playoffs

Pre-District Wrap Up and District Final Preview

Jake Heilman, Sports Reporter

Region One

After FHC’s blowout win, they will face Portage Central at Portage’s home field. The Mustangs come in with a near upset loss against cross town rival Portage Northern. The Mustangs  look to get after the Ranger defense with a Wing-T attack similar to that of Battle Creek Lakeview. The Mustangs will have to heavily rely on their ground game.

Also in region one, Traverse City Central returns to the playoffs for the third year in a row after beating Traverse City West 13-12. They face a hot Lowell Red Arrows team who’s looking to redeem their state championship chances after a last second loss to Detroit Martin Luther King last year at Ford Field.

Region Two

Midland Dow and Fenton will go at it in an offensive battle. Midland Dow won big over Bay City Central 55-14. Fenton looks to continue their playoff run after a 49-19 win. Fenton is eager to return to November playoff football for the ninth year in a row.

Walled Lake Western will take on the Pirates of Pinckney after escaping South Lyon 31-30. The Warriors come in on a nine game win streak, with their only loss of the season coming in their first game against Farmington on the road. Pinckney comes in after a two year playoff drought and will look to carry momentum that they gained against Walled Lake Northern in the first round.

Region Three

The Livonia Franklin Patriots come in after a deep run into the playoffs last season. The Pirates lost to state champs Detroit MLK in the playoffs last year. They take on a Temperance Bedford team coming in with a big playoff win against Wyandotte Roosevelt 43-21.

Oak Park will have a big task on their hands after a solid pre-district win against U-D Jesuit 26-17. They will face reigning state title winners Detroit Martin Luther King after MLK won big against a struggling Ferndale offense.

Region Four

Groves High School and Brother Rice battle after both teams come off of big first round wins. Groves HS defeated Berkeley handily, and Brother Rice defeated Warren Cousino dominantly as well. These two teams met in the first round of the playoffs in 2014, ending in a 49-7 Brother Rice win. Groves looks to revamp the rivalry Friday night.

Another rivalry battle will occur on Friday as Grosse Pointe North and Grosse Pointe South meet again in the District Final. This year’s regular season battle ended with a ridiculous score of 8-4, in favor of Grosse Pointe North. In the last ten meetings, the wins have been split even at five a piece. Both teams look to survive and advance on Friday night.

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Jake Heilman is now in his second year on the staff, and is taking over as the Sports Editor in Chief. He is currently looking to pursue both writing and...