FHC Varsity Volleyball Cruises Past Greenville in a Three Set Sweep

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

FHC’s Varsity volleyball team faced off against their conference foes for a third time this season, ending with a similar result. Monday night in the District Quarterfinals, the Lady Rangers defeated the Greenville Yellow Jackets in three sets, just as they did in their previous two meetings.

“Switching the ball up so they weren’t solely focused on Reese [Weslow] and Kendall [Gardner] was a big key to our offensive success tonight,” senior Bri Tilton said. “We played sharp and quick, and that’s what we’ll need to do in order to keep winning.”

FHC wasted no time in the first set, as they jumped on the Yellow Jackets early. Thanks to the offensive play of junior Mackenzie McDonald, the Lady Rangers led early 11-5. Not wanting the set to get out of hand, Greenville’s coach took a timeout to devise a plan that would hinder the FHC attack. After the break in action, the Yellow Jackets managed to pull the score back, but couldn’t convert their crucial chances in the end. The Lady Rangers would take the first set in dominant fashion 25-15.

The second set brought more of the same. Again, FHC jumped out to a commanding lead. Despite a strong Greenville attack in the second, the Lady Rangers managed to keep their substantial lead due to key defensive plays. With the score at 17-6 with FHC in the lead, junior Audrey Tubbs made a diving play to keep the ball alive. This key play helped the Rangers carry their momentum until the end of the second set. Once again, FHC won dominantly. The scoreboard read 25-10.

“It was nice to play in a more relaxed match before we play Lowell,” Bri said. “We had the chance to work on some things and fine tune some errors we’ve been making.”

The third set would be the one that capped off this one sided match. Kendall and Bri led the Lady Rangers offensive attack early on. With FHC leading 8-5, Morgan Tomaszewski got into the action. She had several kills which helped propel the Rangers to a victory in set number three. Bri, with a dump over the blocking defenders, ended the third set, giving FHC another victory.

FHC made quick work of the Yellow Jackets in a short-lasting three set sweep.  

“Our goal coming out was to win in three,” head coach Lauren Heinz said. “We had already faced Greenville before and knew that this was possible. We wanted to get in and get out, so we can start focusing on Lowell.”

With a less than usual dominant performance from Reese, several underclassmen stepped up to show that they can provide as a good supporting cast entering their next semifinal match against the Lowell Red Arrows.

“It was a good team victory,” Reese said. “Everyone was involved and contributed to the successful play.”

Facing the Red Arrows earlier in the season, FHC will look to improve on what they struggled with in their five set win last time the two teams faced off.

“We’re going to have to work especially hard on blocking and hitting around the block,” Heinz said. “We have to be focused on playing our game regardless of what they throw at us. We’re all excited for the opportunity of making it to the district finals.”

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

Entering his second year on staff, Sam has been given the task of leading his team of sports' reporters this upcoming year. Sam's favorite type of writing...