Winterfest Court Q&A: Lynlee Derrick
1. What was your reaction when finding out about your nomination?
“Honestly, I was really shocked—I know everyone says that—because I wouldn’t say I’m the most social or popular person. I really just oscillate between struggling in Calculus and hanging out with [senior] Abby Wright, so I didn’t expect anyone to vote for me.”
2. What is your favorite Winterfest activity and why?
“Hands down the window painting. I don’t participate in them, but I love looking at them; my friends [seniors] Taylor Baumgardner and Ayesha Jeddy deserve so much recognition for their artistry in those paintings. I admire their talent and that of other grades.”
3. Why do you think you were nominated?
“I honestly couldn’t tell you. Maybe as entertainment? I can be very last-minute and awkward and raucous, so maybe I left some memorable impressions on my classmates.”
4. Who wasn’t nominated for court who you would choose and why?
“This comes as no surprise, but I would wholeheartedly nominate Abby Wright. She is my platonic soulmate and someone who is so, so worthy of representing our class on court. Also, her dogs are really cute, and she always goes to Taco Bell with me; we would’ve made a swag duet. But if I’m allowed to nominate more than one person, I would also nominate [seniors] Abigail Cool, Julia Kirkman, Valerie Greenwood, Ayesha Jeddy, and Megan Cushman. They’re kind, kind souls.”
5. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
“Geek’d by Bhad Bhabie. It’s a lyrical masterpiece, and I take no criticism.”
6. On a scale of 1-10 how well does your car drive in the snow and why?
“I don’t mean to be rude to my car Murph, but it’s a 1/10. My brakes never work, and I slide all over the place. I’m a phenomenal driver—I am often the one who drives despite the criticism—yet the snow is my greatest enemy.”
7. Do you have a nickname, if so, what is it and why?
“I have no nickname, but people sometimes call me the wrong name. If anyone calls me an L name, I’ll answer to it. Maybe mamas is my nickname—it’s what Abby Wright calls me.”