Top 5 seniors

Isaac Torrey – Football and Wrestling

Senior Isaac Torrey had an extremely successful final season of wrestling, as he earned third place in the State Championship and was able to get his 100th win this year. Isaac was a leader for the wrestling team and helped the younger wrestlers transition into the intensity of the sport. Not only was Isaac a leader on the wrestling team, he was also a huge addition to the football program. He was an all-conference player and leader on the football team at the fullback and linebacker positions. He took charge on both sides of the ball and was a key player in multiple games. Without him some important team wins in football and wrestling might not have happened.

“My biggest supporters were my mom, my dad, and Nolan Ott. Nolan got me through a lot of the hard times, along with senior Andy Trapp. Of course the great coaches I had, Brad Anderson and Tim Rogers, were able to push me hard and keep me on the right track through my whole career as well,” Isaac said. “Another one of my biggest supporters was my brother Jake; he made me who I am. He taught me everything he could teach me, whether it be sport related or life lessons. The combination of family and friends helped me get to where I am. Varsity football and wrestling were great experiences full of life lessons that I wouldn’t trade for anything. I created a deep connection with all my teammates.”

Bryce Clay – Football and Lacrosse

Senior Bryce Clay was a huge contributor to the football team this season. He played wide receiver and defensive back. Bryce had a huge game against Jenison, as he started off the night with a 101-yard pick-six then went on to return a punt and score on an 80-yard offensive run. Jenison wasn’t the only game Bryce was a key player in, as he also had a game-sealing interception against Mona Shores in the district final game. Bryce was one of the key players that helped the Rangers turn the football program into what it is today. Not only is Bryce successful in football, but he is also going to the University of Michigan to play Division 1 lacrosse.

“My first year in football we weren’t that good; we were 2-7, had fun, and got some good experience,” Bryce said. “Then my junior year we had a great year; we were 9-3 and we turned the program around. At that time we were still getting the feel for the game. And then senior year was an amazing year for us; we set records and went far. I love football; my career started off a little rocky, but we finished strong.”

Emma Yoder – Basketball and Soccer

Senior Emma Yoder is the heart and soul of the girls basketball team. She is the one that gives the motivational speeches, the one who makes sure she interacts with the younger basketball teams, and she is a huge contributor during the games. In the first few games, nobody could guard her; she got rebounds and put them right back up for an easy layup every time. She also was huge on taking charges, an instant motivator in basketball. This season she led the team in charges. Even though the Lady Rangers lost to East Grand Rapids in the first round of districts this year, Emma was able to score 21 points of their 40 points. She was also able to get 11 rebounds, which allowed the team to have some offensive production. Emma was also a key player against Lowell. She was the second highest scorer for the team with 12 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. With her presence on the court, the Rangers were able to secure a key win against the leading team in the conference. Not only is Emma involved in basketball, she is also involved key on the soccer team and is going to Slippery Rock University to continue her soccer career.

“I love being a captain on the basketball team,” Emma said. “I love to make a difference in practice and in a game, whether it’s just encouraging someone or helping them out with something. Being captain allows me to help other people, and that’s what I really like about being a leader on my team. I also really believe the programs in high school are about learning and all levels should be united, so I believe that the freshman, JV, and varsity should be one program. That’s why I love being so involved.”

Tyler George – Basketball and Tennis

Senior Tyler George has been playing basketball for his entire life. In Tyler’s Rangerball career he has broken five records. The first two records were free-throw percentages in a career and season; as a junior he went 90% from the line and as a senior 87%. Tyler then had 1o three pointers in a game, breaking the previous record of 8. In that same game, Tyler earned 41 points to break the record for most points in a game, previously being 37 points. Scoring average in a career was also newly set by Tyler, who averaged 15.95 points per game, breaking the previous 15.9 points. Tyler is now ninth on the all-time Rangerball scoring list with 678 points in his two years on varsity. Tyler also participated in varsity tennis for the first time this fall and made it to the state semi finals.

“Rangerball has been a part of me since I can remember,” said Tyler, who grew up in the gym. “This season exceeded expectations and I couldn’t be prouder of our team. It has been quite the ride and I don’t regret a thing.”

Felicity Buchmaier – Swimming and Track

Four-year varsity swimmer Felicity Buchmaier grew up in the pool. The sport of swimming came very easy to her at a young age. This season Felicity swam her way to the State Meet where she had her best times of the season. In the 100-Butterfly she got a time of 54.80 seconds, in 100-Backstroke she got 55.89 seconds, and she led the 400-Freestyle relay with an individual time of 52.41 seconds. Felicity also had a really impressive meet at Spring Lake where she swam 500 freestyle in 5 minutes and 13 seconds. Felicity won the State Championship in 100-Butterfly three times and in the 100-Backstroke twice in her high school career, as well as being a Conference Champion in the 100-Butterfly. She was also awarded all-conference and all-state honors. Felicity swam in the Commonwealth nationwide games trial at Surfers Paradise, Queensland, where she placed 26th in the 50 backstroke, 30th in the 100 butterfly, and 32nd in the 100 backstroke.

“What made this season so special as a senior was being able to lead such an amazing group of girls. It was so fun being able to help them, give advice, and be respected by them,” Felicity said. “Senior night was also a huge highlight for me as I got to reflect on my high school career and thank those who have helped me come so far.”