TCTs The Countless Thanks 2018: Rachel Toole

TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2018: Rachel Toole

My six best friends- for being the people who know me better than myself

From the Friday night chaotic dance sessions to the Saturday morning groggy breakfasts, you guys never fail to put a smile on my face. The only time I am fully content is when I am surrounded by all of your unique, spontaneous personalities. As I watch us slowly morph into each other, I can truthfully say that I would not be the same person I am today without you guys by my side. I will forever cherish spilling out our hearts to each other during the early hours of the morning and the countless jokes we make when we are together. Due to this amazing group of friends, I have created some of the best memories I believe I will ever create throughout my lifetime. Thank you all for teaching me how important true friendships really are and how amazing life can become when you experience it with the people you love. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such amazing friendships. Delaney, Emma, Lily, Lilly, Morghan, and Hannah, I am entirely grateful for each and every one of you.

Aidan O’Meara- for always boosting my self-esteem

Every day during my second-hour APUSH class, I repeatedly discourage myself. However, Aidan, you never fail to reassure me that everything is going to be alright. Every time I look over my shoulder, there is always a vibrant smile across your face which causes one to spread across mine. From the countless nicknames you have given me to the countless laughs we have shared, I will always look forward to our second-hour chats and daily walks to third hour. Not only do you help me stay positive, but you also help me believe that I am capable of passing the hardest class I will ever take. Aidan O’Meara, thank you for always reminding me that life will get better and move on even when it seems like it won’t.  

Jacob Campbell- for always checking up on me

JC, soup, and Jacob, I am extremely grateful for you. Our friendship started second semester freshman year during Honors English 9. When I first walked into that class, I seemed to only notice how little friends I had in it. Little did I know, I eventually would come to find a friend in someone in the class. Soon, fourth hour became my favorite hour, and the sole reason was you. I immediately was drawn to your timid personality and quickly became set on becoming your friend. There is so much more to you under the surface that most people do not get to see. I was one of the lucky people to truly see how unique you really are. Although we no longer have any classes together and have slowly drifted apart, you always make an effort to text me. Whenever I see your name pop up on my phone—in the mix of insignificant names—I smile. It may be a simple, “Hey” or “What’s up,” but it reminds me that someone cares, and everyone needs to be reminded of that once in a while. To be frank with you Jacob, I am tremendously jealous of you. I’m jealous of how big your heart is, how you discreetly care for others, and overall how you are so eye-opening and different than all of my other friends. You are one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I hope one day I can follow in your footsteps. Soup, I don’t tell you enough: you repeatedly make my day and deserve much more recognition.

Morgan Mittlestadt for saving all my grades

I don’t exactly know how I would get through the tortures of school without you. From editing every paper littered with errors to answering my countless questions in multiple classes, you are always willing to help. I know at times you are swamped with your own countless hours of homework, yet, you always stop what you’re doing to help me. Putting others before yourself is one of your many astonishing traits I deeply admire. Not only do you help me with my schoolwork, you also always listen to my problems that I continuously ramble on about. Morgan, you are one of the smartest people I know. Not only do you serve as a role model to others, but you set standards for me that I hope I can reach someday. Thank you for helping me learn the proper use of commas and listening to my endless problems. I am so glad we have become close, and I am thankful that I was able to meet someone as amazing as you.

Nic Stout-  for being my number #1 person

It’s funny how friendships work; you can pick somebody that will play a major part in your life just because you enjoy their company. This is what happened to us: two-second conversations turned into two minutes, then into two hours. We have grown substantially closer within the last year, and as I look back at those times, you have truly transformed me into a better human being. Being my go-to person, you wear many hats, receive many rants and vents, receive videos that really don’t make sense, and you get to hear all the wonderful and pointless thoughts that go through my head. Our friendship, that I hope will continue to last throughout and after the high school years, has taught me so much. You have taught me about trust, love, and the kindness of words. I know I can forever lean on you with my dilemmas and issues. Every time I come to you, you send me away more improved than I started. All the conversations and text messages we exchange will always hold a place in my heart. You have taught me so much and have been a great role model throughout my life. I am honored to be blessed with a friendship as rare as the one we have. I cannot wait for what the future holds for us and all the amazing adventures we will encounter. Thank you for always being there when I need you—even if I have disappointed you and gone against my word more than once—you have never left my side. As my friends have come and gone, you have continued to stay throughout it all; you deserve so much in this world, and I hope you continue to show people the amazing, thoughtful, caring person you are.

Jack Fitzgibbon- for pushing me to be my best

The way we became friends is the best, weirdest way I have ever become friends with anybody. Jack, my once-homeschooled friend, you are one of my favorites. Life within your eyes does not revolve around grades or SAT scores; life does not revolve around the college you go to or the academic awards you can list on your college application. Your funny and carefree personality always reminds me to take a deep breath and not let stress control my life. Although you may not be the most studious, you never fail to make sure I am. The number of times I have sent my PowerSchool grades to you is comical. The text I receive at least once a week asking, “How are those grades?” reminds me to keep pushing myself. As you say best, Jack, “Michigan will accept nothing less than a 4.0.” With your words constantly driving me to become a better student, every time I get a test back, I think of you. Thank you for being the carefree person I so desperately need in my stressful life. Jack, thank you for pushing me when I don’t push myself. This friendship has existed for a short five months, but, it has a big future ahead of it. I can’t wait to send you my 4.0 GPA at the end of this semester; I promise to get my APUSH grade up. Thank you for all you do, Jack. 

Matthew Mahoney–  for the “How was your day?” texts

Thank you to the boy that my mother adores. Although we might not be as close as you are with others, your texts always brighten my day. Almost every single day when I open a Snapchat from you, it will consist of the words, “How was your day?” Only four words, and every time I see them, my heart swells. Only good comes with your name, and I evidently see why. By just being yourself, you constantly brighten other people’s day; you start a chain reaction. By texting those four wonderful words to me, I feel the need to text them to someone else in hopes of making their day like you always make mine. Matthew, there is so much I admire about you, and I hope others see it as well. This society has changed people for the worst, and it’s a relief to see a genuinely nice person within all the bad.