Staff Q&As: Meredith VanSkiver

Name: Meredith VanSkiver

Grade: 12

Position: Public Relations Manager

Semesters spent on TCT: 3

1. Why did you decide to join TCT?

“I had always been intrigued by the idea of writing for the school newspaper, but it wasn’t until I had Mr. George as a teacher sophomore year that I became really compelled to enroll in the class.”

2. How has TCT helped you grow as a writer and person?

“The sheer quantity of putting out three stories every two weeks simply forced me to increase my stamina as a writer. I also think that by seeing how the inside of an online newspaper works, I’ve been exposed to just how many people read what we write. The pressure of genuine, real-life readers pushes me to be passionate about what I put out.”

3. If you were a type of cheese, what type of cheese would you be?

“A nice merlot BellaVitano. It’s rich but with a fun and nutty undertone and a bit of a fruity aftertaste. Enjoyed by those with a refined taste or loved by your everyday cheese eater, merlot BellaVitano has something to offer for everyone.”

4. What is your favorite thing about writing?

“I feel like I often have jumbled, quasi sentences stuck in my head; writing allows my mind to clear a little bit.”

5. What’s your funniest story of complications while working on a story? 

“I don’t have any funny stories of my writing but there are funny stories about funny people!”

6. Who’s your favorite literary character and why?

“Boris Pavlikovsky in The Goldfinch is insane and funny and compelling and so amusing to read about. I think when I was younger I based part of my personality on Annabeth Chase from the Percy Jackson series. And Jo March, of Little Women fame, is the quintessential protagonist, perfect for any age of reader.”

7. What is your favorite type of story to write and why? 

“Movie reviews! I’ve been a huge movie buff for a long time and I’ve always had a will to write, so it’s the perfect combination of two of my loves.”

8. What are your aspirations for the upcoming decade?

“To graduate college is an obvious one but something I definitely want to accomplish. I think maintaining happiness, however that manifests itself in my future, is another important goal of mine.”