Homecoming Court Q&As: Matthew Mahoney
1. What was your reaction when you heard your name called?
“I was surprised and happy, and I was just very excited to be voted on by my classmates to represent them.”
2. Why do you think you were nominated?
“I think I was nominated for all the different things I participate in throughout the school, which has, in turn, allowed me to become friends with a lot of different people. Through my involvement in sports, as the student section leader, and being on the NHS board, it has opened up a lot of new relationships that maybe wouldn’t have been possible without it.”
3. Who wasn’t nominated for court that you would choose?
“I thought there were a lot of people that were definitely worthy of being named to court, but fortunately, there will be two other opportunities throughout the year for us to nominate more people.”
4. Are you disheartened by the circumstances in which not all of the traditions are the same?
“For sure, but I am so grateful for everyone in the administration, student council, and school that has made the most of the situation and enabled us to do as much as possible.”
5. What is the one tradition that you will miss the most?
“I remember going to the homecoming parade as a little third grader seeing the court ride on top of the convertibles hoping one day that would be me, or watching the crowning take place in front of the entire community and school. While it’s certainly a little disappointing, I’m glad to see us make the best of it.”
6. Which spirit day is your favorite?
“My favorite spirit day is college day; I’m a big sports fan, so I’m well equipped in my college wear for Tuesday.”
7. What has been the craziest outfit you have ever worn for a spirit day in all four years?
“For pajama day one year, I wore a onesie of the teddy bear from Ted.”