TCT’s The Countless Thanks: Sophie Young

Julianna – for keeping me (somewhat) sane during show week 

As much as I love theatre, there can be so much stress surrounding it. I fear the show won’t be perfect even though it always works out in the end. But, with you by my side, I knew Brothers Grimm would be great. I couldn’t have asked for a better head of costumes to work with, and I know you’ll do great without me next year. 

Lydia – for always laughing with me

When I joined The Central Trend last year, I never would’ve thought I would end up as a photographer, yet, here I am. You have made sixth hour so much better than I could’ve ever hoped. There isn’t a day that goes by that we aren’t laughing with each other, and I am so incredibly grateful for those moments. This year has been crazy, but I’m so happy I can spend it with you. Thank you for all of the conversations in class.

Sam Aupperlee – for plotting our escape to Europe 

I, quite truthfully, have no idea how we even became friends. I was never the type of person to just walk up to someone new and talk to them, but I am so glad I did during Les Mis rehearsals. Then Footloose happened and we became inseparable. You became one of my closest friends, and I can’t imagine turning to anyone else at the end of each day. I know life is crazy, but I’m so thankful that we have our escape plan to London if things ever get too out of hand. Thank you for always being there for me. 

Hailey Raitz – for listening 

I used to be annoyed by the fact that our parents made us hang out simply because we are the same age, but looking back, I am so thankful they did. Family reunions are, to be candid, not necessarily something I always look forward to. However, you make it extremely worth it. I hate that we only get to see each other a couple of times a year, but I cherish every moment we spend together. I love all of our calls, even if they do end in us ranting to each other. You are unbelievably incredible. Thank you for being my built-in best friend. 

Annie, Caroline, and Ella – for causing trouble I never knew I needed in my life 

Most of my friends try to avoid their siblings when I am around them because they believe they are simply annoying. However, you three seemed to avoid that situation. I’m not entirely sure how, considering how much trouble you cause, but you did. And I am honestly so thankful for it. Your sporadic phone calls and requests to play video games remind me of how much fun it is to be a kid. Thank you. 

Mrs. Dickens – for welcoming me with open arms 

I was afraid that once Sarah moved to Iowa, I would rarely see her again. However, you didn’t let that happen. You welcomed me into your new home with open arms and gave me a second family—a family that’s quite crazy at times, but, nonetheless, I love you all. Thank you for taking a chance on me.   

Phoebe Dawson – for being an amazing “older sister”

It’s been a hot second since we talked, but I miss you. When I first started at StageGR, I was a part of the younger side of students. I felt like I didn’t fit in with everyone else, but you took me in. I have now watched you go from actress to intern in a matter of years, and I cannot wait to see how much farther you can go. You are so caring and sweet. Whenever I am around you, I am always laughing. You became a huge role model in my life, whether you realize it or not. I look up to you so much. Thank you for always watching over me.

The cast and crew of The Brothers Grimm – for giving me a sense of normalcy 

I never thought we would make it through closing night of the show, so that Saturday was the best thing to happen to me this year. It reminded me of the normal I once knew. You all provided me with so many laughs. I wish I could’ve spent more time with each of you, but I am so thankful for the time we did have together. To the seniors, specifically, thank you. You have all given me a home since my freshman year. I’ve never laughed so much around a single group of people, and I’m so fortunate to have such an amazing support system at school. Thank you for those small moments during Brothers Grimm. 

Ben Lowen – for the past four years 

Okay, I know you are technically included in my previous paragraph, but you deserve your own. I met you during our freshman year. We were both new to the FHC theatre program, but you showed me there’s no reason to be afraid of it. We haven’t had the chance to do as many shows together as I would’ve hoped, but I cherish each show we’ve both done. You never fail to make me laugh, even when I am beyond stressed. Thank you for always checking on me and being the best ‘seasoned theatre veteran’ there is to exist. You have no idea how much of a difference you have made in my life. Thank you for showing me how amazing theatre really is.

Ashlyn and Olivia – for teaching me 

Going into this year, I was so afraid. Liv, I knew I wouldn’t be able to live up to the high standards you set. You were the greatest head of hair and makeup to work beneath. When I was asked to train under you, I knew I would never be as good as you. However, I was so excited to work with you. Then we lost the musical last spring, and I felt utterly lost. I am so thankful you continued to work with me so I could prepare for this year. You spent countless hours on your job, and I miss you every day. Ash, you believed in me when I didn’t. From our inside jokes in the dressing rooms to our tears shed at Tony night, you were always there with me. I miss how much you made me laugh; you are incredible. I miss you both so much. The theatre department is not the same without you. Thank you for doing everything you could to prepare Julianna and I for this year.

Mrs. DeMeester – for being the greatest role model I could ask for 

When I joined your theatre class my freshman year, I instantly knew it would be my favorite class of the day. You provided me with a safe environment full of people that I can trust. You always looked out for me and genuinely cared about how I was doing. You provided me with the perfect reason to join the school’s theatre program, and I am so thankful that I did. Now, years later, I continue to look up to you. I may spend almost half of my day with you, but it’s my favorite part of my day. Thank you for being someone I can count on and trust with everything going on in my life. Thank you for being the greatest role model I could ask for. 

TCT Staff – for giving me a reason to make it through each school day 

I joined staff last year merely because I heard it was one of the best classes to take in the school, and I couldn’t agree more. You have all been absolutely astounding—both as people and writers. Even during the not-so-good school days, I know I have TCT to look forward to at the end of the day. I love you all so much, and I don’t know what I would do without all of you in my life. Thank you for the countless messages and laughter each day. 

Sarah Dickens – for somehow managing me from six hours away

If you told me five years ago that I would still be involved in theatre, and I would meet my best friend because of that involvement, I don’t know if I would believe it. Joining theatre was a very random choice on my part, and I didn’t think I would continue with it for this long. But I found friends I couldn’t imagine my life without—I found you. You have been my best friend for five years, and I am a completely different person because of it. I am so thankful for our non-stop FaceTime calls, all of our inside jokes, and every memory I have made with you. You have made my life so much better. Thank you for giving me a second home all the way in Iowa. Thank you for being my best friend.