Backpacks are not only for school supplies, but also for self care necessities

TripSavvy
Some of the cute and well-packed bags, including a bag from The North Face.

Some of my favorite TikTok POVs are those that consist of “girls who have everything in their bags.” I know that these are supposed to be a lighthearted joke about how unrelated their supplies are to education, but I find them to be strangely aesthetically pleasing. Romanticizing school is the only way that I can get through it.

So, in order to be at my optimum performance and maintain self-care throughout the seven-hour day, I pack little extras for myself to brighten my day in small ways. From entertainment to skincare, the small things I find room for in my bag are what make my day bearable.

Bags

To begin with, having a bag with lots of storage compartments and small pockets is what makes this whole operation work. A bag that is light yet spacious with many pockets is ideal for both days when I need to carry a lot and when I barely have anything to bring. My personal bag is from The North Face, and I find it to be versatile and durable while not being over the top.

Stationary

In order to make my paper schoolwork slightly more aesthetic and appealing, I bring a variety of pens, highlighters, pencils, and sticky notes. As far as pens go, I carry my Paper Mate Flair! pens with me at all times for note-taking and assignments that require a pen. The colors and flow of the pens make my work more bright and colorful. However, I also enjoy the smoothness and fine lines of gel pens, so those are another visually pleasing option.

Another must-have when it comes to stationary is a planner. Whether it be day-by-day or a monthly schedule, planners help to keep me organized. Even if I write down my to-do list and don’t glance at it until the next morning, the act of writing out what I need to do and having a place for all my information in case I forget is a great way to stay on top of things.

So, in order to be at my optimum performance and maintain self-care throughout the seven-hour day, I pack little extras for myself to brighten my day in small ways

Skincare

Although my complete facial skincare routine is done before school in the morning and right before I go to sleep at night, I still do little things to keep my appearance up throughout the day. The front pocket of my bag always contains three essential items: lip oil, hand cream, and scented lotion. My lip oil, which is a mini from Haus Labs by Lady Gaga, comes in both clear and tinted with a size and applicator that makes it ideal for travel.

While it may seem odd to carry two different moisturizers for my hands, I have my reasons. My thicker, unscented hand cream is used mainly when my hands are extremely dry and in the winter. The Eucerin brand works wonders for my dry hands. On the other hand, the scented lotion I used from Bath & Body Works is still a moisturizer that acts in place of a perfume. In general, I avoid using perfumes so as not to accidentally spray my classmates.

Snacks and drinks

This likely goes without saying, but I always bring a water bottle to school. Adding ice and having a good insulated water bottle such as a Hydroflask or knockoff is a good way to stay hydrated and refreshed during a busy day.

Although I’m not really a snack person during the school day, I find that the easiest and most filling munchies are granola/protein bars and fresh fruit. They satisfy my cravings without making me nauseous or overly full. Usually, though, if I’m feeling fidgety and want to chew on something, I reach into my gum vault that I have in my backpack. Truly, gum is a savior at school; it freshens up my breath while helping me concentrate.

Fidget toys

As embarrassing as it is to admit that I’m a “fidget kid,” I really do find that small and quiet toys keep my hands busy and my mind focused, especially when I am supposed to be listening or watching without moving. Because I have difficulties sitting still in class, classics like the six-sided fidget cube and a small Simpl Dimpl are always helpful when trying to regulate my energy levels.

Technology

Barely any student pulls up to school without their laptops and phones, but I also love packing or wearing my (off brand because I have an Android) airpods. Even though many schools do not allow airpods to be worn during class, I like to have some audio entertainment during breaks or silent work time in class. It helps me to be ever-inspired and my creativity to flow, so I am rarely caught without music flowing through my airpods.

Even if all of these items add considerable weight to my backpack, I really don’t mind because of the little spots of brightness these items of self-care and entertainment they bring to my typically dreary days.