The final Beatles song—“Now and Then”—is the perfect tribute and grand finale

The cover image of the new, final Beatles song displays its title, Now and Then.
The Beatles

After playing hundreds of shows in Hamburg, West Germany and the release of their first hit single “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” the Beatles became a phenomenon.

Arguably, they are the biggest boy band given their unmatched rise to popularity and sustained fanbase, even 60 years later. 

Truly, the Beatles have an effect like no other. So when the Beatles’ lead singer, John Lennon, was shot and killed in 1980, millions mourned. 

Crowds gathered in respect for him; candlelight vigils took place, and some fans even took their own lives in response. 

Similarly, following former Beatles’ lead guitarist George Harrison’s death from cancer in 2001, flags were flown at half mast in his hometown’s town hall, and flowers were placed in tribute around the studio where the Beatles used to record music. 

While the two former Beatles passed decades ago, their music, vocals, and styles, live on—especially with the release of the final Beatles song. A song that incorporates all four Beatles one last time: “Now and Then.” 

The process of making the song started in 1994 when Lennon’s wife Yoko Ono brought Lennon’s cassette tape demos to the rest of the Beatles. At the time, the demo that would become “Now and Then” had a loud piano part that overpowered Lennon’s voice, and they were unable to separate the parts. 

However, with new technology in 2022, they were able to do just that. So, they set off to work again, and this time, they completed the song. 

“Now and Then” is a sad love song, and it is absolutely beautiful. 

It opens with passionate piano chords that frame the somber tone as John Lennon’s voice makes its entrance. Reflecting the age of the cassette recording, his vocals are a bit fuzzy and sound like they were from a large open hall, and it sounds like we’re right there standing next to Lennon as he plays on the piano. 

Then, soft drums roll in with the shake of a tambourine and the beat of a cowbell, the classic sound of the Beatles’ percussion. 

Throughout the song, the minor key and dismal note sequences keep the melancholic tone even as more instruments are layered on. 

From its production to vocals, the song is perfect, and there isn’t anything I would change about it.

Later on, the slide guitar solo arrives with long drawn-out notes as if the guitar itself was wailing in despair. The solo mirrors George Harrison’s style, giving him the perfect tribute. 

After four short minutes, the last Beatles song reaches its end.

With the message of missing someone, “Now and Then” talks about the passage of time, which is fitting considering Lennon had been singing of missing someone then in the ‘70s, and now, he sings of it again fifty years later, unintentionally illustrating the timelessness of love. 

From its production to its vocals, the song is perfect, and there isn’t anything I would change about it. 

“Now and Then” was also released alongside a newly remastered version of  “Love Me Do,” the first released Beatles song, bringing them full circle as one last good-bye. Ultimately, “Now and Then” offers a bittersweet tribute to the two late Beatles members and a grand finale to the widely adored ‘60s boy band. 

The legacy of the Beatles continues to live on. Their effect on the world continues on, too. The Beatles will continue to be extraordinary, just as they were now and then.