It’s not December, so put down the Christmas lights

A fun and cute Thanksgiving movie to enjoy with the whole family

I am not a Grinch. I promise I love Christmas, but only in December.

Starting to celebrate Christmas before or the day after Halloween is simply excessive. I understand the hype and joy around the Christmas season, but we are not yet in the season of giving.

Companies have their Christmas ads on TV, and their stores are decorated for the season that has not yet come because they are preying on the money that the Christmas season brings them. Compared to other holidays, they make around 700 million more dollars during the winter season. So, I could see why they would want to capitalize on the season by making it earlier and earlier every year. 

I am a firm believer in the fact that the Christmas season starts on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. But it’s clear from going to the mall, conversations at school, and social media that Thanksgiving is being completely glossed over. I have seen far too many aesthetically decorated houses and heard way too much Christmas music, and it’s only early November.

Thanksgiving is, to many, a celebration of our country and a time to give thanks for the things usually taken for granted. To indigenous people, it is a time of mourning for their land being taken and for the racism they still face today. Rushing over Thanksgiving to get to Christmas is blowing over the importance of the day.

While I love the Christmas season, it is not here yet, and it’s time to stop pretending it is.

Thanksgiving is an important time of the year to focus on, so here are some ways to spread Thanksgiving cheer. 

Volunteer

Thanksgiving is all about being thankful, and one way to be thankful is to recognize what one has, no matter how much or how little, and think of how fortunate they are. Not everyone is financially able to give, but giving time is still an option. 

Turkey Trot

Many join runs to celebrate Thanksgiving. This is a fun way to get ready for the big feats typically eaten on Thanksgiving day. It’s also a good way to bring awareness to problems, donate time or money, and an activity the whole family or friend group can get involved in. 

Friendsgiving

Share the love with friends by getting together for a potluck. Thanksgiving does not have to be restrained to one day or family; give thanks to chosen families and friends as well. 

Watch Thanksgiving episodes

Many series, such as Friends and Modern Family, have Thanksgiving episodes in each season ready and available to be re-watched to spread the chaos and cheer surrounding Thanksgiving. Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving is a great way to get in the spirit of the season.

While I love the Christmas season, it is not here yet, and it’s time to stop pretending it is. Thanksgiving is a holiday as well, and it, too, deserves the hype. It is a day of thanks to many and brings families together not because of the promise of presents, but because of the company. 

So, wait. Put on the Christmas music, start decorating, and go gift shopping on Black Friday or later; it’s time for Thanksgiving. Save up Christmas cheer to spread even more joy and love in the proper season. 

I am not a Grinch—I just don’t skip holidays.