Chiara Bergsma got a taste of traveling and now desires more

Chiara Bergsma
A picture of Chiara one of her many vacations around the world

Senior Chiara Bergsma speaks Dutch. 

Chiara’s parents are originally from the Netherlands and moved to the United States before Chiara was born. Growing up, Chiara has become fluent in Dutch. This has led to Chiara being interested in different cultures and seeing the world.

“My parents met in the Netherlands,” Chiara said. “They were both in the Netherlands because my whole family lives there. That’s also a reason I want to go there; I just think it’d be cool to see different cultures.”

I am just going to see nature, family, and friends all over.

— Chiara

Even though Chiara’s family is from the Netherlands, that is not the only reason she has found a passion for traveling. Some of it has to do with her parents being from the Netherlands but also with her family having always traveled. Throughout her life, Chiara has gone on many family vacations. This has led to her desiring to see more of the world. The more Chiara sees the more she wants to travel. Chiara is very interested in seeing and experiencing all aspects of the world. 

“I have always gone on family trips with my family,” Chiara said. “I went to Spain with them, London, Mexico, and a bunch of places, and it made me want to see more of the world.”

Although it’s expensive and difficult to plan, Chiara is going to be backpacking across the world for an entire year. She is most excited to see and travel to Europe, but she’s still going to explore multiple different places. 

“I’m gonna be traveling the world,” Chiara said. “I’m going to be doing Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and some of Asia. I am going to go backpacking; I already bought my backpack. I am just going to see nature, family, and friends all over. My dad’s coming, and my siblings are coming with me because it’s too dangerous.”

Chiara’s family is very supportive of Chiara’s decision, especially her older siblings since both of them took gap years. Now, Chiara’s older sister goes to college at the University of Amsterdam, and Chaira plans on spending two months with her during her gap year. Her brother and father both are accompanying her on some aspects of her trip. In the end, though, Chiara is going to be alone often while she travels the world. This has led Chiara to be a little nervous. 

“I do [have fears], but knowing that I won’t be alone makes me feel a little bit better,” Chiara said. “But I’m scared because I probably will be flying around places alone, going to airports and stuff. There’s always a chance of getting kidnapped. That’s what keeps going on in my head. But I’ll be smart. I will think it through and won’t make any stupid choices.”

It can be extremely dangerous to travel alone, but Chiara plans on being smart and responsible while also exploring and doing what she wants to do. Once Chiara is done with traveling, she wants to go to college—although she’s not sure which one—and then become an interior designer for her dad’s furniture company. Nevertheless, Chiara originally wanted to go to college first, but she had additional fears of losing the opportunity to see the world, and never having another chance. 

“I wanted to get school done and over with first, but I’m nervous that I’m going to meet someone, and my life will just keep going, and I’ll never have that time to do it anymore,” Chiara said. “So I want to get school over with, and I’m going to go to school after, but I just felt this was a good time to do it honestly.”

Because of the fear of falling in love and starting her future too early, Chiara wants to see the world before she has to settle down. It has taken a lot of planning, but Chaira is going to see the world. This is because she wants to travel the world, and she is anxious to get out there and do it. Chiara does not want to miss any opportunity in life that she can pursue, and she wants to get whatever she can out of it. 

“I love traveling, which is the reason I’m going to take a gap year,” Chiara said. “I just want to live life to the fullest.”