Skip the cliché striped socks this Christmas and gift someone with TikTok’s latest festive phenomenon, “Brr Baskets”

A collage of some examples that might be included in a “Brr Basket.”

It is easy to fall victim to the curse of overused Secret Santa gifts: Maybe it’s a mug with cringy slogans, a regifted present from a past birthday or holiday, or fall-scented candles that look fresh out of the back of a closet. While it is truly the thought that counts amidst the season of giving, gifting the same unoriginal presents that will eventually end up in someone’s attic has become blatantly overused. Thanks to TikTok, a new revolution of Christmas gifting, called “Brr Baskets,” offers gift-givers the opportunity to spoil their loved ones with a basket full of the perfect presents to ensure a festive cornucopia of Christmas gifts. With the internet brainstorming on the quintessential things to include in these gift baskets, some have made their way to the top of the wishlist.  

While it is truly the thought that counts amid the season of giving, gifting the same unoriginal presents that will eventually end up in someone’s attic has become blatantly overused.

1. Seasonal Fuzzy Bedwear

As a fellow Michigander, I know that the winter is undoubtedly frigid. Having cozy bedwear to warm up with while drifting off to sleep is the perfect supplement to make your dreams sweet. Cheap but high-quality slippers and pajamas can be found at stores like Target and Walmart. Target’s annual Christmas-themed blankets—this year’s design includes a green and red array of mistletoe, trees, and candy canes—are the perfect fit for a chilly Christmas movie-binging night. After all, nothing says Christmas like Noble Fir-adorned pajamas, fuzzy slippers decorated with reindeer, and a warm blanket to festively stay safe from the cold.

1. Jelly Cats 

Popular precedently to December, the viral JellyCat storm continues to prove that no one is too old for stuffed animals, especially after the release of their most recent holiday collection. Their Christmas drop includes 66 stuffed ornaments and animals selling for as little as $12.50. The undeniably adorable appearance of these plush toys, such as the bestsellers Bashful Christmas Bunny and Bartholomew Bear, provide a holly jolly comfort to accompany the warmth of the season. 

1. Fun candles

Thanks to the versatility of this gift, a candle is not only pleasantly ambrosial but adds an aesthetic touch to any table or desk. Bath and Body Works’ 3-wick candles not only come in an assortment of scents like cinnamon apple, cedarwood, tart cranberry, and spiced plum, but they also feature a mural on the front that each displays a cozy Christmas scene. Products more on the expensive side, such as the Candier candle collection, feature more elaborate designs. The Candier “I’m Dreaming of a Pink Christmas” candle is my personal favorite for its multicolor glitter design on the rim and top of the candle that makes the wax appear like a cupcake. Additionally, online stores like Amazon sell candles in intricate shapes and models for more reasonable prices, and simple but stylish ones can be found for as little as a few dollars at your local general store or drugstore. 

1. Self-care 

Depending on the gift recipient, one may greatly appreciate a relaxing addition to their skincare or beauty routine. Products such as the Tree Hut Candy Cane Sugar Scrub and Whipped Shea Butter not only fit the seasonal theme but ensure that even in under 30-degree temperatures, self-care will still be kept in check. Affordable body mists and lotions keep the festive fun around for longer with wintery scents. Such products include the Bath and Body Works Frosted Coconut Snowball body mist that—according to the website—smells just like “snow-kissed woods and spun sugar.” Other products, like face sheet masks or hair masks, are incredible options to maintain a refreshing glow even amid the torrential snowstorms and stress-inducing exam season.

1. Candy and Sweets

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that sometimes a sweet treat is the only way to go. Especially around the holiday season, those with a sweet tooth will be eternally grateful for a gift of their favorite candy or snack. Whether you want to run to the dollar store to grab a few packs of Hershey’s Kisses or spoil the receiver with a Santa Claus mug full of carefully crafted hot cocoa ingredients, anyone being gifted their favorite confectionaries this Christmas is bound to be filled with the Christmas spirit. 

With the 25th quickly approaching and the holiday spirit at its height right now, anyone looking to gift their friends and family a present they are bound to enjoy should look no further than “Brr Baskets.” Providing both the comforting aspect and very merry ambiance needed this busy time of year, these gifts will never be stuffed into a box and forgotten about. One thing still rings true: giving one of these yuletide blessings is guaranteed to land you a spot on the top of Santa’s nice list this season.