Energy drinks are a student’s best friend until they’re not

Pinterest
Energy drinks like Monster are a fan favorite for many students.

As a high school student, I cannot go one hour without observing the amount of other high school students drinking energy drinks. Students are under a lot of pressure with managing grades, and it can get tough trying to stay alert and focused in class. Whether it be Celsius,  Monster, or Red Bull, students (including myself) rely on these boosts of energy to get them through the day. 

Despite the convenience of acquiring the energy that these drinks provide, they are not ideal for everyday consumption, especially for adolescents. 

Teens of the ages 17 and under are not meant to have more than 100 milligrams of caffeine a day to preserve their health. Caffeine is a stimulant, which means it causes increased heart rate and blood pressure. It can even cause sleep disturbances when consumed too close to the time you go to bed, which can eventually lead to stunted growth. Excessive caffeine consumption can even lead to cardiac complications that could have a very serious effect on one’s physical health. 

The average 16-ounce energy drink contains 170 milligrams of caffeine, which is 70 milligrams over the recommended amount for teens. Drinks like Celsius and Prime Energy contain 200 milligrams of caffeine, which is double the recommended amount for teens. 

Energy drinks may be helpful at the moment, yet they are nothing but harmful in the long run. Believe it or not, caffeine is classified as a drug. It stimulates your brain, heart, and nervous system. Large amounts of caffeine can even have similar effects on the body as ADHD medicines like Adderall and amphetamine diet pills

Not only is caffeine bad for your physical health, it is addictive. It is so addictive that when refraining from caffeine, one can face withdrawal symptoms. These negative symptoms include headaches, fatigue, decreased energy levels, decreased alertness, drowsiness, depression, difficulty concentrating, irritability, and feeling foggy.

Not only is caffeine bad for your physical health, it is addictive.

I only drink energy drinks or other forms of caffeine like coffee when absolutely necessary, like if I need to get through a long study session or if I have trouble waking up in the morning. 

Energy drinks are for certain occasions where a boost of energy is needed, not for every day. Over time, as people consume more and more caffeine, they build up a tolerance to it, and over time, they crave more and more dangerous levels of it to be able to feel the caffeine working in their system, leading to an addiction. That way, when you truly need it to get through that important test, it no longer kicks in. As you get more addicted to caffeine, it seems that it doesn’t do its job as well. 

In other words, I love a good Celsius here and there, but I also understand the dangers of extreme amounts of caffeine. Knowing the risks is crucial for teens to be fully aware of the condition of their health and how it can change. Teens are still growing and developing and we must be able to make choices based on what our bodies need versus what they want. 

Next time you reach for that Bang Energy, be sure to consider whether it is essential for your success.