Love letters to Life—for the months I’ve spent with you

Alysse Calabio
A picture of nature through some of the months last year.

To Life,

January 

Remnants of our celebrated nights remain glazed over my eyes, and the smiles that we wore are still plastered onto our faces. 

The sky’s white petals delicately drift down in front of me, coating every surface around me with its glinting light. With even the slightest of touches—it dissipates in front of me—yet it continues to dance against the strengths of the wind and adorn my warming body. 

The grand performance it has put on for me has finally come to an end, and I am once again left with the residual effects of the show; it snaps me back to reality—to the beautiful scene revealed before me. A reality that you have opened my eyes to.

February 

The wind that had once decorated my hair with enchanting speckles of white has transformed into one that breezes its chilled air through my hair and whispers all the little loves in my ear.

Love is the joke that only you and I truly know. Love is the silly nicknames we have for one another. Love is the silence that we don’t mind sitting in together. Love is the small details that we remember about one another. Love is relaxing in my car together while we listen to music, probably a little too loudly. Love is switching shoes with me because my feet hurt. Love is helping me hold my things, even when I am capable of doing it myself. Love is the small ways we support each other.

Love is the people around me.

Love is the people you’ve brought to my world.

March 

Purple tulips, white daffodils, and baby blue forget-me-nots. The ripples of baby butterflies wave through the air. Streams of water babble past silent rocks—making their presence known to everyone who steps on by. The breath of spring has blown over the land, bringing to life any that may have been sleeping. 

Out of all the seasons, I’d like to think that you were most like spring. The warmth you bring into the world brings to life all those around you—those blooming flowers, those baby butterflies, and those babbling brooks. Never too hot and never too cold, you bring hope and love into the world.

Never too hot and never too cold, you bring hope and love into the world.

April

The wind has swept me off my feet and has flown me to and fro.

The wind has become my own carpet ride, revealing to me the world you have watched build-up: the skyscrapers that go forever above those drifting clouds, the beautiful architecture that adorns each one of the streets, and all the walks of life that look in awe alongside me.

How easily you turn nothing into something, blemishes into beauty.

May 

It only took a moment, truly just the blink of an eye, for disaster to hit. For my world to be turned all around, to be changed.

But, just as you have shown me, out of disaster blossoms delight a burning moment of red rubble flashing to a sparkling moment with draped dresses and affectionate laughter.

June 

The heat of freedom has hit me, but yet time seems to slip me by.

July 

I just seem to get lost in the summer warmth and shining smiles around me.

August 

Until the realization that, in just a second, the moment had passed me by. The hot summer sun starts to become a little cooler, and the time feels a little faster.

But even so, there are still those little moments where time slows down, where you tap me on the shoulder and remind me to look around—to truly see what’s going on around me. To see all the new people, to see all the new experiences, to see all of what’s changed.

September 

Once more, the leaves have returned to their golden brown color, and the warm weather has begun to bid us goodbye. 

Those falling leaves paint the streets of our town with beautifully warm tones, and I can’t help but feel a sense of home wash over me—a sense of belonging. 

October 

Those sweet, delicate white petals have begun to fall once again. Even though I dread the cold, you bring me all the warmth I could need.

November 

Those black, freezing nights accompanied by the bright fire’s crackle have become the ones that burn brightest in my mind, a light you have ignited within me.

December 

The days have drifted past me. I can’t seem to recall where they have all gone; they all seem to blend into one. 

Even so, they have blended into an enchanting mesh of strikingly vibrant colors, moments, and memories I wouldn’t want to leave me. They have blended into a mesh of strikingly vibrant colors that you have helped bring to life.

You have made my year all the more beautiful—all the more vibrant.

Love always,

Alysse