Looking at my past, being in my present, dreaming of my future: age 17

Addy Cousins
a picture of my vison board on my desk right next to my bed, so I can wake up and be reminded of my goals.

I don’t usually make New Year’s resolutions because I know I am not likely to keep up with them. 

I can admit how lazy I can be; laziness rolls over me in waves, the current pulling me to the soft sand, showing me how easy it is to let go and simply lay down. So, resolutions always seemed like far too much work; why fight the current? But, I go off to college next year; I will have to fight lazy’s current—so, at 17, I decided to make resolutions.

It helped that my friend and I decided to make vision boards instead of just writing the resolutions in our Notes apps and forgetting about them. Now, I wake up every morning and have a perfect look at the semi-aesthetically put-together board of my goals. It helps me push against the current a little more each day.

My first goal for this year is to keep my room clean. I used to be really good about keeping my room organized, but this year, I struggled to even make my bed. My room is my safe place and one of the places I spend the majority of my time. My safe place is an extension of my mind, and it has been since I first claimed that room in sixth grade. The mess of clothes, blankets, and junk on my floor kept me tripping and feeling not so safe in the place I was meant to be safest. So, keeping it clean will keep my mind clean too. Keeping it clean will be one more push I can take at the current. 

My second goal is to go to the gym more. I have a membership but almost never drag myself out of bed or off the couch and go. I want to make a routine out of going to the gym. The consistency will help my mental health, and working out will obviously help my physical health. This also helps me combat the waves of laziness.

My third goal is to save money, which goes with my healthy eating goal as well. I eat out all the time, at least once a week, but usually three times a week. It doesn’t help that I work at a restaurant and order food after most shifts. But, I need to cut back on this trend of spending and save more money than I spend. This means making more food at home and keeping myself from buying stuff I don’t need on my weekly Target or mall trip. This, I know, will be the hardest wave of laziness to push against. It is the one that brings me back to the soft and known sand. 

My safe place is an extension of my mind, and it has been since I first claimed that room in sixth grade. The mess of clothes, blankets, and junk on my floor kept me tripping and feeling not so safe in the place I was meant to be safest.

My fourth (and, technically, fifth goal) is to take more pictures. I am always looking through my camera roll, wishing there was more there. Getting more pictures will mean going out of my house more as well, and not just going to Target again but doing activities or going to new places. Especially since I am going to college next year, I want to make as many memories as I can and take as many pictures so I can always remember, even with my terrible memory. Hopefully, this wave won’t be too large; I should be able to push back just fine. 

My last goal was to journal this year. I have tried this before, and it has only lasted a day or two before I forgot. This year, I want to actually keep journaling for the same reasons as above: to remember as much as I can before I start on a new journey of life. Journaling can also help me keep up with all of my other goals and will hopefully be my grounding in the sea as I combat wave after wave. 

I never make resolutions, but I did this year, and now the ocean of laziness may cease to exist.