From Covid to college, the upcoming graduating class has many feelings about high school

Anastasia Feya
Senior year is full of anticipation leading up to graduation

2024: a new year is now underway. COVID began four years ago, creating an atrocious start for freshmen only just commencing their high school career. 

New high school students already work hard enough to steady their typically overwhelming schedule, and adding a worldwide pandemic to their mixture of stress didn’t make things any easier: previously congested classes were forced to cram the same amount of information into students’ brains via a newly enforced hybrid schedule. Two or three days a week were arranged for in-person connection—separated by masks and mandatory six-foot distances—while zooms covered the remaining days; Wednesdays were virtual for everyone. 

Now, senior Hayden Bolter admits he shared conflicting feelings about his hybrid freshman year even with the break from face-to-face learning it provided.

“Even though everyone says it’s so bad being here seven hours a day,” Hayden said, “I still missed going to school. It definitely made high school a lot shorter, like this fever dream, a blur, and then we were sophomores and only had three years in high school left.”

Along with the change in the learning environment, everyone’s social life was modified as well. Get-togethers with friends turned from packed parties surrounded by waves of loud music to Facetime chats that eased boredom and drive-by birthday parties.

Though social aspects physically created distance between people, it formed a mental barrier as well. 2020 events caused this fabricated skip in time: 2019 wasn’t last year, but five years ago. Just as Hayden revealed that, after freshman year, the rest seemed to fly by, senior Gigi Sinicrope experienced something similar, though it wasn’t school that passed her by. It was her age.

“Back then, my sister was a senior, she didn’t go here, but I knew a lot of the kids that were in her class,” Gigi said. “I just remember feeling like they were so much older than we are: they were eighteen, and that was crazy. Now, I don’t feel like that at all; When I see freshmen, I don’t ever think I was that young, but at the same time, I don’t think I’m as old as I actually am.”

Even though many social, physical, and even mental features of life were set askew, most sought an advanced version of normalcy. It was in this search that Hayden found camaraderie in after-school activities. 

Founding the Spanish club and joining HOSA continue to be some of his preferred affairs. When considering a career in the mental health field—primarily psychiatry or medicine—and having an interest in majoring in Spanish, those two opportunities fit his desires perfectly; however, though these clubs have opened up windows into future professions, he disclosed that sports are where “a lot of good memories” feed from.

It’s bittersweet, but I’m excited to start a new chapter of my life.

— Tz Cumbo-Nacheli

Similarly, Gigi has found companionship mostly in her love for football games. To her, it’s not the actual game she connects with; it’s the social aspect surrounding it.

“[Football games are] one of my favorite parts of high school,” Gigi said. “I’ve been to a couple college games, and they are way different. The Michigan games I went to this year have a completely different atmosphere; I think I’ll miss knowing everyone who’s playing and having more of a personal connection to them. [High school] games are much more intimate.”

Gigi’s visit to the Michigan games gave her a peek into what to expect from the sports angle of college. It’s no secret that senior year relies heavily on the process of choosing what school to go to, filling out applications, and beginning to decide a path for life. 

Senior Tz Cumbo-Nacheli already has her dreams mapped out. Her aspiration of being a doctor has veered her schooling decisions quite a bit, and although she’s still waiting on two, five schools have already accepted her application. Her ambitions moving forward excite her, but she admits that it will be difficult to take that next step forward. Growing up in the Forest Hills area and attending the schools from first to twelfth grade have given her unforgettable memories, but she’s ready to move on.

“It’s bittersweet,” Tz said, “but I’m excited to start a new chapter of my life. [Applying for colleges] was really stressful at first when just getting started. My college advisor was Mr. George, so he helped me through all of it: writing my essays, editing them myself, and my supplementals. It was a really stress-free process with him.”

Something that, for many, is a very anticipated and stressful process has been eased for Tz due to her one unspoken rule: “Always respect your teachers.” In a year that puts heavy pressure on students to be decisive and diligent, creating a bond with teachers is her key to reducing anxiety for seniors.

Likewise, Gigi voiced her opinion on the fact that, although there’s a considerable amount of tension when preparing for college, the most important thing is to not let it get to your head. Through the storm of nervousness and suspense that is senior year, Gigi continues to uncover more about herself. Freshman year was only the beginning. 

“I think it’s really easy to be stuck in trying to be a specific type of person,” Gigi said. “People are going to like you for who you are. It was really hard for me, in the beginning of high school, because I was just trying to fit a specific mold. But you are who you are, and as you get older, you know that. Then you’re able to be a part of more things that actually intrigue you.”