Looking at my past, being in my present, dreaming of my future: ages 10-17

Addy Cousins
A picture of the girl where her and her soul were on an adventure together

She knew her soul was incomplete—a wanderer without a home—perhaps that is why she could not wait for her mom to let her read Harry Potter. Her friends had started the series already and the need to delve deep into the magical universe clawed at her. 

She didn’t know she would find her heart and soul in that world, at age 10 she believed she had truly found herself.

At age 12, she didn’t think she was completely wrong at 10, but there had been a few adjustments—her soul did not stay the exact same. Her soul had stretched wider, encompassing new passions like Percy Jackson

Her soul was still completely in fictional worlds, and she longed to be in the magical places she read about physically. But she stayed in the realm of normalcy, estranged from her soul, for what she thought was forever. 

Her soul was her everything. Her soul was off on amazing, dangerous adventures, but it would come back to her with every flip of the page of her book, telling her of its trials and its friendships. She wished to become one with her soul, and she wished she had gone through those quests and connected with all of those people. 

Her soul felt the girl’s sadness and longed to take her with it, but it knew the girl was needed in the real world. 

She was the reason her soul got to go on such grand adventures, and though she didn’t know it, she faced grand quests as well. 

But she stayed in the realm of normalcy, estranged from her soul, for what she thought was forever. 

At age 14, the girl’s world was strange; she felt a little like Alice walking through unfamiliar terrain. Her soul was still on daring plights, but it came back to her more often to recall its tale, and the girl wrote down her soul’s journey, tying her and her soul closer together. 

At age 15, her soul was with her more than on adventures, and she rarely had time or made time to force her soul back into the fantasy world. She had placed her feet more firmly in the realm of normalcy, and her soul sensed a shift in her. She had started writing of her own trials more than her souls. 

At age 16, her soul had gone on more adventures, and the girl’s love for writing about the adventures of her soul was still present, but her adoration for writing focused more on the girl herself. And still, time flew by and more and more her soul stayed with her. 

At age 17, the girl hated herself for letting her soul get too comfortable in the real world. She wished she was yet again age ten, just finding herself and the world of make-believe. She knew the older she grew the more her soul would be tied to her, and it was a terrifying thing to know. 

While she loves her life now, she couldn’t help but still want to play make-believe and have her soul roam free in the world of magic she still adores.