Disney’s Broadway’s Aladdin offers a captivating experience full of whimsy and wit

Alysse Calabio
The Aladdin musical offers a family-friendly experience that’s interactive, hilarious, and downright fun.

Last week, at DeVos Performance Hall, my love for theatre was reborn.

In seat A25 of the Balcony, with a perfect view of a colorful stage and all of the antics that occurred upon it, I sat beaming as Disney’s Broadway adaptation of its 1992 animated film, Aladdin, played out in front of me.

The musical was a wonderful adaptation of its inspiration; from costumes to choreography, its environment was nothing less than vibrant, energetic, and comedic. 

One of my favorite elements of the performance was the costumes, which were perfectly designed for each character. Jasmine (Senzel Ahmady) was shimmering with a glittery turquoise two-piece, showcasing her royal social status and sass; Aladdin (Adi Roy) was dressed in humbling orange and cream, highlighting his poverty and generosity.

My personal favorite costume, however, belonged to the Genie (Marcus M. Martin), who was decked out in flamboyant blue and gold, with his signature golden cuffs around each wrist, pairing well with his equally showy personality and glamorous magical ability.

The perfection of the play was not limited to outfits—every scene was filled with humorous acts that had me withholding unexpected laughter.

The hilarity was continuous as many characters, like Iago (Aaron Choi) and Aladdin’s friends, Babkak (Jake Letts), Omar (Nathan Levy), and Kassim (Colt Prattes), were definitely designed as comedic reliefs; every time they stepped on stage, I prepared for giggling. 

The funniest scene, where Aladdin’s friends perform “High Adventure,” was especially entertaining. Each character roamed about on a journey with swords and sarcasm, all while completing a wonderful dance number.

This brings me to choreography—another unsurpassed aspect of the musical. Every number was brimming with skillful belly dancing, contemporary, jazz, and various other dance styles that boosted the energy of the show. It was captivating to watch the subtle (and not-so-subtle) hand movements, leg sweeps, and numerous other dance moves that flowed together effortlessly.

The vocals of the actors seemed effortless, too. Whether it was due to perfect casting or well-taught voice lessons, each time someone belted out a song with particularly high or low notes, I noticed unstressed singing. Their voices were simply angelic, and every song surrounded me with an ambiance of whimsy and beauty.

Many of the scenes in Aladdin showcased yet another charming element of the show. Each set was brilliantly detailed, and the lighting techniques captivated me. The flying carpet scene was executed in an unexpected way, and I was left breathless as I was surrounded by stars. To avoid spoilers, I will leave it at that.

By the end of the show, I was utterly astonished by what I had just witnessed. The play fully managed to immerse me in its story of adventure, romance, and comedy.

I recommend Broadway’s Aladdin to everyone—regardless of one’s love for theatre—as the experience was one I’ll never forget. Though the musical had a playtime of two hours and 30 minutes, I felt as if I had been there for only twenty minutes, yet, simultaneously, a lifetime.