The public claims the Barbie movie was snubbed for The Oscars, and they may be right

The Barbie poster and an Oscar review

The Barbie movie was highly anticipated, and it is now highly praised for the exemplification of women and their role in society and the appreciation and credit that they are not given. In the months following its release, it has remained a topic of discussion for the heartfelt theme that many people have connected with and also for being a fantastic and entertaining film. 

With the recent Golden Globes, there was the incident of a joke from host Jo Koy about Barbie that may not have been meant for harm but created quite a stir throughout the community. It especially caused havoc in the media. For You pages and feeds have shown many posts about the incident popping up for various causes, and a TikTok trend was formed, mocking the idiocy of the jokes. People have responded, outraged about the situation, but there was a momentary relief with the upcoming Oscars. The next award show gave options for numerous nominations that Barbie could get. 

The film is, nonetheless, getting the credit, with eight Oscar nominations, yet fans and the cast have feelings that the credit is not all where it is deserved. Some of the predicted nominations were given to other roles. 

The movie got eight nominations, including Best Picture and Best Production Design, but the nominations that were anticipated by the community were not released. Director Greta Gerwig along with actor and executive producer Margot Robbie did not get any direct nominations. Greta got a nod as a writer of the screenplay when the film got nominated for best-adapted screenplay and Robbie as an executive producer when it got nominated for best motion picture. Nonetheless, people are enraged that the two women who played such a substantial role in the making of a turn-of-the-century movie about women aren’t getting the recognition they deserve. 

“To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement.” 

— Ryan Gosling

Actor Ryan Gosling, who portrayed Ken in the film and was nominated for best supporting actor, has made public statements that although he is honored to be nominated, Ken and the movie would not be anything without Gerwig and Robbie. He went as far as to say, “To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement.” 

Some people are not nearly as enraged by the outcome. The View host Whoopi Goldberg mentioned on a recent show that people are making the situation much more dramatic than it is made out to be. She said, “Everybody doesn’t win.” She continued to discuss that it is a group that votes for the nominations, and some people may have simply not preferred the movies as much as others have. 

The public is making accounts that it truly seems as if the entire message of the movie is being overlooked, just as it did with the Jo Koy joke at the Golden Globes. For example, Gerwig was overlooked in her category by almost all males except Justine Triet. Both actresses got recognized at other award shows, but the redemption that was sought from the Oscars is, disappointingly, not a reality.