My word of the day: theater

Aubrey Hibma
When someone brought me and my friend Aubrey a mini jug of chocolate milk

I’m really struggling to write this one because I want it to be perfect. I want to be able to find the perfect words to describe how theater impacts my life. I want to be able to find the perfect words to describe how much I love theater. 

Last semester, our school put on a play called The Curious Savage. I had never heard of it and honestly had no idea what to expect. The only thing I knew was that I wanted to do stage crew. When I walked into the auditorium doors on the first day of the stage crew, I had no idea what relationships I would form and what memories I would make.

The week before the play was the most fun that I’ve had in a while. I didn’t expect to laugh so much and to genuinely have so much fun. I was excited, but I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy it.

One of my favorite parts of doing stage crew is when we would just hang out during our free time. If the actors weren’t rehearsing, we would play the piano and sing a bunch of different songs. (Those moments were when we realized that we definitely weren’t made to sing in the musical). Other than our horrible singing we would play random games and work on our homework. That is what brought me peace and happiness during theater. The memories that I made and the relationships that we formed throughout that week.

All of the little moments during that week before the play are what made me love doing stage crew.

Some of the other things that I loved were when a few people left to grab something and came back with fun little snacks such as a whole lemon cake, or a mini jug of chocolate milk, and when someone DoorDashed a bunch of McDonald’s fries just so we could have a snack. All of the little moments during that week before the play are what made me love doing stage crew.

Soon we’re going to start doing stage crew for the school’s musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Like the play, I’ve never heard of this musical either. Even though I’ve never heard of it, I’m so excited for the opportunities it will bring me and hopefully will bring me even more relationships with people that are also a part of theater.

It’s impossible for me to describe how much I enjoyed the play and how excited I am to do the musical. When the play ended, I immediately started counting down the days until the musical. 

I chose the word theater because it is one of my favorite things to do and it’s recently started meaning a lot to me. Stage crew gave me something to keep me busy this fall, and I can’t wait to continue this spring for the musical. Theater has brought so many memories for me and I can’t wait to continue to make more with everyone else on the cast and crew.