My word of the day: music

Pinterest
Earbuds are something that give me peace

I love music.  As a teenage girl, it’s a cliche thing to love, but I still love it. There’s something about music that brings me peace and happiness. There’s something about music that makes me feel free.

Music is my escape from reality. Music can make me feel happier if I’m in a bad mood. Music can help me study, and music can help me sleep.

My favorite thing about music is that no matter my mood, there’s music that can match it. If I’m upset, I can listen to sad music. If I’m excited, I can listen to upbeat music. No matter what I’m feeling, there’s music that can complement my mood. 

One thing about me is that I really don’t have a specific musical taste. A question that I’m sure most people have been asked before is “What’s your taste in music?” or “What genres do you like to listen to?” and my answer is always I don’t honestly know. Pretty much every single one of my playlists is a mix of hundreds of different artists and genres. There’s no certain genre I like more and there’s no certain genre I like less. I just like music. It’s just music that makes me happy.

I get my music taste from everyone and everything around me. I get songs from movies, from my siblings and cousins, from my parents, and from my friends. Maybe I’ll even find a song I like when scrolling through Instagram. I have found some of my favorite artists and songs just because my sisters or friends introduced them to me. Sometimes I’m just sitting in a movie theater and hear a song that I’ll immediately add to my playlist.

I could spend hours just listening to music and staring at my wall.

I could spend hours just listening to music and staring at my wall. Honestly, I probably have. I listen to music all of the time. I listen to it when I do homework, when I’m in the car when I’m eating lunch at school, in between classes at school, and when we’re just doing our silent work in class. Music is something that, for me, is really hard to get tired of. It’s something that I could have forever and just feel free and happy.

I like to think that my music taste is slowly getting better as I add more of a variety of songs, artists, and genres. Every day I add more songs to my playlists, and they keep growing better and better. I have playlists ranging from 20 minutes long to 11 hours long, and they’ll just keep on getting longer. I have over 50 playlists on my Spotify account, all mixed with different genres and artists.

I chose music as my word because music is what makes me feel happy and what makes me feel free. Almost every time someone sees me I have an earbud in my ear because music is my peace. Music is one of my favorite things and I don’t know what I’d do without it. My word of the day is music because that is what my peace is, and I couldn’t imagine getting through the day without it.