The secrets that I keep – being in the moment rather than the future

Forgetting about the present has led me to a less content future.

In a world that seems to move faster with each passing day, the concept of being present in the moment has become increasingly important to me. 

Many find themselves caught in the whirlwind of thoughts about the future – planning for college, worrying about the unknown, and contemplating what lies ahead. Although I have found those ideas relevant to my life, I’ve become happier residing in the present.

The constant planning and thinking about everything I need to do to prepare for college and even after college can make it challenging to stay grounded in the present moment. The future, while undoubtedly important for the even further future, can become an all-consuming preoccupation, overshadowing the importance of the present.

Fully engaging in the current moment will help me look back and see a happy version of myself, rather than a stressed or worried version. I began prioritizing the future as I started my senior year and through my entire first semester. With college creeping up on me and the stress and pressure of preparing for the beginning of my future, I forgot about everything that’s still here in the present

My friends, habits, and things I do regularly got set aside for me to focus on what isn’t even here yet. Of course, planning for the future is crucial, especially when preparing for college, but I’ve found that I need to start focusing on the now.

While forgetting about the present, I have missed so many moments I wish I could have lived. I missed out on lifelong, high school memories.

I like to daydream of where I could be at any point in the future. But, I have been pulled out of the present, my current reality, and thrown myself into a nearly delusional state. While forgetting about the present, I have missed so many moments I wish I could have lived. I missed out on lifelong, high school memories.

The present moment is full of experiences waiting to be discovered and lived through. Each day offers a unique opportunity for me to create memories with the people I love and care about most. When I became too preoccupied with the future, I risked missing out on the richness of the present, and I indeed have missed out on so many moments.

As I have begun to live in the present moment, I have enhanced my relationships with my friends to be better than before. Often my distractions of the future had created social availability barriers between myself and my friends, preventing me from getting to spend time with them. 

By being present with them, I have forged stronger connections and am actually enjoying myself. The time that I spend with them is so much more relaxed and easygoing than the stress and worry of thinking about the future.

Living in the moment has created a more fulfilling and meaningful life for me. Including others in my life and myself in theirs has helped me concentrate on the now and worry less about the future.