Dairy Queen’s new items were a bit of a let down

Aubrey Hibma
A photo we took after getting the new items

Before today, I hadn’t been to a Dairy Queen in a long time. I heard that they had a couple of new items for the season, so I figured why not try them? Even if Dairy Queen is pretty far away, I hoped that it would be worth the drive. I can’t say I was disappointed but I definitely can’t say that it exceeded my expectations.

I went to Dairy Queen with very high hopes. There were three new items; A Confetti Cake Cone Dip, Under the Rainbow Shake, and lastly, a Mint Brownie Blizzard. Out of all of the items, I was looking forward to the Mint Brownie Blizzard, because I love mint ice cream, and I love mint Oreo desserts.

Confetti Cake Cone Dip

I wasn’t particularly looking forward to trying this one because I’m not a fan of cone dips. I don’t love that they make an ice cream cone impossible to eat.

I’m not sure why I decided to try it, but since it was one of the new things, I figured why not. When I took a bite of the ice cream, it was not a pleasant surprise. I don’t like Cone Dips, but this was bad on a whole other level.

The Confetti Cake Dip tasted just like cake batter, which usually I love, but I decided not on already sweet ice cream. I love cake batter ice cream, but the shell made it so overpowering that I wouldn’t have been able to finish it even if I liked it. This item was honestly worse than I had expected, and I already had low expectations.

Under the Rainbow Shake (for St. Patrick’s Day)

I had higher expectations for this one than I did for the Confetti Cake Cone. I love milkshakes so I was hoping this one would be just as good as other milkshakes. 

When I got the shake it was a dark pink color topped with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles. It was really pretty and definitely stood out among the other two items because of the bright captivating color.

When I took my first sip of the milkshake I was immediately confused. I didn’t read much about it, and even though the color was pinkish-red, I didn’t expect it to be strawberry-flavored. 

After I realized that it was strawberry-flavored, I took another sip. I don’t love strawberry shakes or strawberry milk, but it wasn’t as bad as I had feared.

I don’t love strawberry shakes or strawberry milk, but it wasn’t as bad as I had feared.

I drank some of it and I couldn’t decide if I hated it or if I liked it. After drinking about a quarter of it, I decided that I didn’t like it. It wasn’t terrible, but it’s so sweet to be able to drink even half of it.

Mint Brownie Blizzard

I had incredibly high hopes for the Mint Brownie Blizzard. I don’t love brownies, but since I love mint ice cream and mint Oreo blizzards, I figured I was going to love this one just as much. Spoiler alert: I didn’t.

Out of all three items, it was my favorite, but I wouldn’t choose it out of other ice creams. I took a bite and immediately realized how overpowering the brownies were. Mint Oreo ice cream is better because the brownies are all around the ice cream, and don’t take up the entire blizzard. The problem I had with this blizzard was that the brownies were in large chunks instead of smaller chunks so they really overpowered the mint flavor. 

This season’s new items were a letdown. My somewhat high expectations were lowered. They weren’t terrible but I was hoping that they’d be something that I could eat instead of only being able to have a few bites of and then I feel sick from all of the sweetness.