Hozier’s EP “Unheard” is filled with breathtaking lyrical artistry

Hoziers Unheard EP cover.
Spotify
Hozier’s “Unheard” EP cover.

Hozier’s new extended play Unheard is the perfect touch to his already-released album Unreal Unearth. The Unheard EP consists of four late-released songs that go along with the theme of his previous album which was inspired by Dante’s Inferno.

Hozier’s original album Unreal Unearth, now Unreal Unearth: Unheard after the release of the EP, was released on August 18, 2023; less than a year later Hozier blessed us with his EP Unheard as the last part of his original album released in the past year. The tracks on the EP are nothing short of phenomenal, between the beautiful instrumentals, Hozier’s amazing voice, and his amazing breathtaking lyrical artistry that never fails to amaze me. 

“Too Sweet”

Hozier’s song “Too Sweet” was popular even before it came out, a small snippet of the song quickly became viral on TikTok after the announcement of the upcoming EP’s release. While I think the song is highly up to interpretation, it is clear that the song portrays the third circle of hell which represents gluttony in its purest form. The track displays a romance between two who are completely different and how Hozier wants to selfishly indulge in this lover despite knowing that he should not. The song has an eerie but sweet vibe to it with a dark undertone to display the persistence of the thoughts that continue to persist.

The track displays a romance between two who are completely different and how Hozier wants to selfishly indulge in this lover despite knowing that he should not.

“Wildflower and Barley”

“Wildflower and Barley” is Hozier’s third track on the EP and the only one that collaborates with Allison Russel in this simplistic and heavenly-sounding song. In this track, Hozier displays a sense of longing, but the song also feels like a sort of ode to a need for renewal, life’s delicate balance, and nature’s resilience. Technically speaking and following his previous albums’ theme of Dante’s Inferno, the track would portray the first circle of hell, including portrayals of the epic poem “Divine Comedy.”

“Empire Now”

“Empire Now” is my second favorite track in the Unheard EP. The song has a strong, impactful, and powerful sound to it characterized by strong drums and violins. Many think the song is about the Republic of Ireland’s independence from Britain due to his theme of revolution and colonialism and of course his Irish background. This track also most likely represents the seventh circle of hell due to its violent sound and theme of revolution and colonialism.

“Fare Well”

“Fare Well,” Hozier’s last track in the EP, and the last part of the Unreal Unearth: Unheard album, is the representation of the outward ascent from inferno from the nine circles of hell. As he “ascends” in the song, the track slowly becomes more powerful and joyful. The song perfectly contrasts Hozier’s rising voice with a tropical and folky sound to display his journey out of hell.

Hozier’s Unheard EP is nothing less than a phenomenal continuation of Unreal Unearth. His amazing lyrics and beautiful vocals never fail to create deep, musical masterpieces that leave the audience in awe. Unheard was the perfect addition to Unreal Unearth, and it truly adds to the journey of the album through hell in Dante’s Inferno.